Utah high school football: Syracuse punches ticket to 5A championship game with 21-16 victory over Bingham
SALT LAKE CITY — Syracuse earned a spot in the 5A state football championship game for the first time in school history with a thrilling 21-16 victory over Bingham Thursday afternoon at Rice-Eccles Stadium.
Bingham jumped out to a quick lead on a touchdown pass from quarterback Jantzen Bowles to Hayden Weichers at the 5:40 mark in the first quarter. Syracuse answered in the second quarter when sophomore quarterback Kole Tracy, who was filling in for injured starter Brock Anderson, threw a 3-yard TD pass to Koa Mo'o with 4:05 left in the second quarter. Both teams had trouble hanging onto the ball, with Bingham fumbling four times, all of which Syracuse recovered.
Bingham had two interceptions, while Syracuse had one.
In the third quarter, Syracuse scored twice — a 2-yard run by Tracy and a pass play from Tracy to Diante Mitchell. Bingham answered in the third quarter to make the score 21-14.
The Miners had a chance to tie the game when Tracy fumbled in the end zone as he was being sacked, but senior Hayden Berry fell on the ball and the Titans only surrendered a safety.
Bingham threatened to score again, but turned the ball over on downs with 48 seconds left in the game. Syracuse ran the clock out and began celebrating the school's first-ever berth into the 5A championship game.
The Titans earned the victory despite losing their starting senior quarterback in the quarterfinal game against Alta.
The Titans will take on the winner of the Lone Peak-Jordan semifinal next Friday at 2:30 p.m. at Rice-Eccles.
- The 16 most interesting college lists...
- Red and blue recruits: Inside Britain Covey's...
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit after ACC...
- Lone Peak guard, former BYU commit Jackson,...
- Doug Robinson: What might have been for the...
- BYU basketball: Cougars shake up starting...
- BYU holds on for 78-74 win over San Francisco
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 73
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 61
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 39
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35