Yesterday, two of my children came home scared that President Barack Obama would either start World War III or enslave white people. They had been told by various schoolmates that the president is evil, a pig, etc.
For the sake of my little kids who have big ears, I'm repeating to them that though I disagree with some of his ideas, President Obama is a good, smart father and husband who wants to help people in the ways he believes are right. I tell them he is not wicked and he is not all-powerful.
No matter who leads the country, our family's job is to keep working, budgeting, making good decisions and being respectful of others.
I want my kids to feel safe and hopeful. Making disparaging, accusatory and fearful comments about the president — or those who elected him — doesn't help them.
- Jay's Jokes: Trump's true identity is Batman
- In our opinion: Utah's unique response to the...
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day
- In our opinion: Fred Adams' Shakespeare...
- About Utah: How this Utahn turned a chance...
- My view: Reform coal leasing policies and...
- In our opinion: Despite alarming shift...
- My view: Drafting women a threat to religious...
- Richard Davis: What will Americans... 46
- In our opinion: Planned Parenthood... 39
- In our opinion: Despite alarming shift... 34
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day 30
- Letter: Cruz took a stand 30
- Letter: Acting presidential 30
- My view: Reform coal leasing policies... 22
- In our opinion: Politics and ISIS 21