Some voters in South Carolina's Richland County waited more than four hours to vote, and leaders from both parties blamed the delays on broken voting machines. Officials in Virginia and New Hampshire reported many voters were still waiting to vote when polls closed in the evening. In major battleground states like Ohio and Florida, lines snaked back and forth as voters waited patiently to cast their ballots.
"I've been waiting for four years to cast this vote," said Robert Dan Perry, 64, as he did so for Romney in Zebulon, N.C.
Both Obama and Republican Mitt Romney made voter turnout a top priority in the waning days of an intensely close race. But for months leading up to Election Day, both candidates were obsessed with that tiny sliver of undecided voters.
It may be that those who were still undecided Tuesday decided just not to show up, said Kyle Kondik, a political analyst at the University of Virginia's Center for Politics.
"Everyone was talking about how the Democrats are unenthusiastic and the Republicans are fired up," Kondik said. "It sounds like that was all talk."
One bright spot this year was the number of early and mail-in ballots cast. Before polls opened on Election Day, more than 32 million people had voted, either by mail or in person, in 34 states and the District of Columbia. In a number of states, including Iowa, Maryland and Montana, early voting appeared to far exceed totals from 2008.
Associated Press writers Jeffrey Collins in Zebulon, N.C., and Samantha Henry in Hoboken, N.J., and Mark Sherman in Washington contributed to this report. Reach Josh Lederman on Twitter at http://twitter.com/joshledermanAP
- Here's a quiz to test your Star Wars...
- Britain's new princess can't expect...
- LA man builds small home for homeless lady
- 5 faith facts about Ben Carson: retired...
- Report highlights earth-shattering increases...
- Defending the Faith: Going up to Jerusalem
- The Latest on prophet cartoon case: 1 man's...
- Defeated boxer Pacquiao keeps faith, as do...
- Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders: 'I am... 41
- Rage to relief in Baltimore as 6... 40
- Former tech executive Carly Fiorina... 19
- More Americans spending at least half... 14
- Governor, legislators leave 'baggage'... 14
- Famed neurosurgeon Ben Carson announces... 11
- Latest on police-custody death: 53... 9
- 5 faith facts about Ben Carson: retired... 9