A second term is sure to produce turnover in his Cabinet. Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner has made it clear he wants to leave at the end of Obama's first term but is expected to remain in the post until a successor is confirmed. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton, Obama's rival for the presidency four years ago, is ready to leave. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta isn't expected to stay on.
To the end, the presidential race was a nail-biter. About 1 in 10 voters said they'd only settled on their choice in the last few days or even on Election Day, and they were closely divided between Obama and Romney. Nearly 1 percent of voters went for Libertarian Party candidate Gary Johnson, who was on the ballot in 48 states.
In an election offering sharply different views on the role of government, voters ultimately narrowly tilted toward Obama's approach.
"We have seen growth in the economy," said 25-year-old Matt Wieczorek, a registered Republican from Cincinnati who backed the president. "Maybe not as fast as we want it to be, but Obama has made a difference and I don't want to see that growth come to an end."
Notwithstanding his victory, Obama will lead a nation with plenty of people who were ready for a change.
"The last four years have been crap," said 73-year-old Marvin Cleveland, a Romney supporter in Roseville, Minn. "Let's try something else."
Associated Press writer Nedra Pickler contributed to this report.
Follow Nancy Benac on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/nbenac
- Dinosaur discoveries in Utah's 'amazing...
- Dress codes: Where should schools set limits?
- 283 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry...
- Obama: Religious intolerance has ‘no...
- Delta tops list of most profitable airlines...
- Couple arrested in alleged iPhone purchasing...
- The dangers of financially illiterate...
- Happy Tax Day! See what you know about tax...
- Obama: Religious intolerance has... 73
- Federal land managers release 400 or so... 58
- The dangers of financially illiterate... 29
- Kirsten Dunst targeted after saying... 27
- Bureau of Land Management to pursue... 22
- Report projects health law's subsidies... 21
- Bible's U.S. popularity steady, but... 18
- 'Obamacare' under attack as... 14