Letter: New West Jordan library has discriminatory parking hybrid and low-emission vehicles only
The new West Jordan library was built with property taxes paid by all of us, including renters who pay taxes as part of their rent. But the main library parking lot reserves 12 of the choicest parking spaces near the entrances for hybrid and low-emission vehicles only.
This was done by Mayor Peter Corroon, in collaboration with an environmental lobby based in Washington, D.C., the U.S. Green Building Council. The USGBC was a big supporter of the 2009 stimulus package, which brought us massive debt, the Solyndra scandal and numerous other failed green initiatives. Coroon issued a directive stating that from now on, all new county buildings must meet USGBC's Leadership in Environmental and Energy Design standards, which include privileged parking for hybrid and low-emission vehicles.
When I spoke with Coroon he did not sound like an arrogant man, but he said it is the job of Salt Lake County government to influence the people's choice of cars.
Interestingly, CBS News revealed that of all Americans who traded in hybrid vehicles in 2011, only 35 percent replaced them with another hybrid, and that hybrid sales peaked in 2008.
Privileged parking for the able-bodied is elitist and discriminatory. All Utahns should enjoy equal access to the structures our taxes helped to build.
- In our opinion: Brexit and the U.K.'s new...
- In our opinion: US v. Texas and immigration...
- On Second Thought: Departugal, Italeave and...
- In our opinion: California considering bold...
- John Florez: If elephants can dance so can...
- Letter: Come together
- Letter: Reducing teacher load
- Charles Krauthammer: Hillaryism: Tired...
- Letter: Shooter's motives 36
- Letter: Carbon emissions fee 30
- In our opinion: California considering... 29
- In our opinion: US v. Texas and... 22
- My view: Taxpayers should call foul on... 19
- In our opinion: Brexit and the U.K.'s... 18
- Charles Krauthammer: Hillaryism: Tired... 17
- Letter: Panhandlers in Sandy 17