Cooking it Light: Revised Pumpkin Squares cuts fat not taste
Dear Jeanne: I love your column. This is a great fall dessert that is delicious. But I would like for it to be less fattening. Can you help? Thank you!
— Rebecca A., Salt Lake City
Dear Rebecca: This is an easy and delicious alternative to pumpkin pie.
I made my own cake mix with flour, sugar and baking powder, to omit the added fat; then I used egg substitute and fat-free evaporated milk, and I got a delicious lower-fat version.
Jeanne Jones is the author of 33 cookbooks, most recently "Cooking From the Cupboard" (Rodale Press). For more information, you can go to her website, jeannejones.com.
Send your recipe for revision to:
Cook It Light
P.O. Box 1212
La Jolla, CA 92038
Please include a stamped (61 cents), self-addressed envelope.
© King Features Syndicate Inc.
1 yellow cake mix — set aside 1 cup
1/2 cup melted butter
Mix and pat into greased and floured 9-by-13-inch pan.
1 can pumpkin-pie mix (30 ounces)
6 ounces evaporated milk
Mix and pour over crust.
1/4 cup margarine
1 cup cake mix
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1?3 cup sugar
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
Cut margarine into dry ingredients; sprinkle on top of squares. Bake at 350 F for 50 to 70 minutes. Garnish with whipped cream.
Makes 12 servings.
REDUCED-FAT PUMPKIN SQUARES
11/2 cups all-purpose flour
2?3 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup liquid egg substitute (or equal amount of whites)
1/4 cup melted butter
1 tablespoon water
1 can (30 ounces) pumpkin-pie mix
1/2 cup liquid egg substitute or whites
6 ounces (3/4 cup) evaporated skim milk
2?3 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1?3 cup sugar
1?3 cup oatmeal
- Washington Post writer: Mitt Romney lost...
- Miss Utah USA gets second chance at question...
- Video: Miss Utah USA flubs answer at Miss USA...
- Superman continues history of casting...
- Cap'n Crunch refutes claims he's not actually...
- NPR writer 'slightly' defends Miss Utah USA's...
- Tip for living: 'Day of Defense' tackles...
- Men's Wearhouse fires founder and current...
- Washington Post writer: Mitt Romney... 61
- Video: Miss Utah USA flubs answer at... 26
- Miss Utah USA gets second chance at... 18
- NPR writer 'slightly' defends Miss Utah... 15
- Superman continues history of casting... 6
- Book review: 'Esther the Queen'... 4
- Utah's Hogle Zoo: Fun and educational... 2
- 'Starlight Express' races onto the... 1