Cooking it Light: Revised Pumpkin Squares cuts fat not taste
Dear Jeanne: I love your column. This is a great fall dessert that is delicious. But I would like for it to be less fattening. Can you help? Thank you!
— Rebecca A., Salt Lake City
Dear Rebecca: This is an easy and delicious alternative to pumpkin pie.
I made my own cake mix with flour, sugar and baking powder, to omit the added fat; then I used egg substitute and fat-free evaporated milk, and I got a delicious lower-fat version.
Jeanne Jones is the author of 33 cookbooks, most recently "Cooking From the Cupboard" (Rodale Press). For more information, you can go to her website, jeannejones.com.
Send your recipe for revision to:
Cook It Light
P.O. Box 1212
La Jolla, CA 92038
Please include a stamped (61 cents), self-addressed envelope.
© King Features Syndicate Inc.
1 yellow cake mix — set aside 1 cup
1/2 cup melted butter
Mix and pat into greased and floured 9-by-13-inch pan.
1 can pumpkin-pie mix (30 ounces)
6 ounces evaporated milk
Mix and pour over crust.
1/4 cup margarine
1 cup cake mix
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1?3 cup sugar
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
Cut margarine into dry ingredients; sprinkle on top of squares. Bake at 350 F for 50 to 70 minutes. Garnish with whipped cream.
Makes 12 servings.
REDUCED-FAT PUMPKIN SQUARES
11/2 cups all-purpose flour
2?3 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup liquid egg substitute (or equal amount of whites)
1/4 cup melted butter
1 tablespoon water
1 can (30 ounces) pumpkin-pie mix
1/2 cup liquid egg substitute or whites
6 ounces (3/4 cup) evaporated skim milk
2?3 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1?3 cup sugar
1?3 cup oatmeal
- Toddler basketball star, 'Trick-Shot-Titus,'...
- 'Deseret News Sunday Edition' looks at Sharia...
- 4 recently released LDS picture books
- Tips for LDS bloggers from the 'ultimate...
- About Utah: He finally landed the role of his...
- Tabernacle hosts annual LDS Latino Christmas...
- Netflix has a different take on modern...
- The Killers collaborates with Owen Wilson and...
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday... 16
- 'Sound of Music' alive for 18.5 million... 13
- TV Review: Broadway wins in live 'Sound... 12
- 'Sound of Music' hit a high note for... 8
- The Killers collaborates with Owen... 7
- Tips for LDS bloggers from the... 7
- Saving Africa? New book casts harsh... 6
- 'Deseret News Sunday Edition' looks at... 6