President Obama, Mitt Romney tie in New Hampshire village of Dixville Notch (+video)
APTN, Associated Press
DIXVILLE NOTCH, N.H. (AP) — Residents of two tiny villages in northern New Hampshire headed to the polls at midnight, casting the first Election Day votes in the nation.
After 43 seconds of voting, President Barack Obama and Republican Mitt Romney each had 5 votes in Dixville Notch — the first time the community had a tie.
"I think the country is lucky, in a way, to have two good candidates," voter Tom Tillotson said. "But given the choice, I think we could move faster, further with essentially a proven leader in economic and business issues, and that's why I supported Mitt Romney. "
Donna Kaye Erwin cast her vote for Obama. She said she also considers the candidates for vice president when making her choice.
"That is the first decision the presidential candidate is making, who's their running mate. I feel comfortable with Joe Biden and the cabinet that we have, as far as their position in the world."
In Hart's Location, Obama had won with 23 votes, Romney received 9 and Libertarian Gary Johnson received 2 votes. Thirty-three votes were cast in 5 minutes, 42 seconds.
The towns have been enjoying their first-vote status since 1948 and it's a matter of pride to get everyone to the polls.
Hart's Location Selectman Mark Dindorf says you could call it a friendly competition to see who gets votes tallied first, although he says Hart's Location is a town and Dixville Notch is a precinct.
- Survivors visit Auschwitz a day ahead of 70th...
- California bars judges from Boy Scouts...
- Chess in schools: bringing the classic mind...
- Some Republican presidential hopefuls court...
- Miss Colombia crowned Miss Universe in Miami
- 'Potentially historic' blizzard threatens NYC...
- Obama seeks bigger wilderness designation in...
- Man tells police drone crash at White House...
- Mitt sounds like a candidate at Salt... 87
- California bars judges from Boy Scouts... 84
- Kerry: Violent extremism is not Islamic 28
- Measles outbreak casts spotlight on... 20
- Idaho has 22 breeding wolf pairs, an... 12
- Religious response to postponed... 12
- VP Joe Biden: More access to higher ed... 10
- 'Potentially historic' blizzard... 10