President Obama, Mitt Romney tie in New Hampshire village of Dixville Notch (+video)
APTN, Associated Press
DIXVILLE NOTCH, N.H. (AP) — Residents of two tiny villages in northern New Hampshire headed to the polls at midnight, casting the first Election Day votes in the nation.
After 43 seconds of voting, President Barack Obama and Republican Mitt Romney each had 5 votes in Dixville Notch — the first time the community had a tie.
"I think the country is lucky, in a way, to have two good candidates," voter Tom Tillotson said. "But given the choice, I think we could move faster, further with essentially a proven leader in economic and business issues, and that's why I supported Mitt Romney. "
Donna Kaye Erwin cast her vote for Obama. She said she also considers the candidates for vice president when making her choice.
"That is the first decision the presidential candidate is making, who's their running mate. I feel comfortable with Joe Biden and the cabinet that we have, as far as their position in the world."
In Hart's Location, Obama had won with 23 votes, Romney received 9 and Libertarian Gary Johnson received 2 votes. Thirty-three votes were cast in 5 minutes, 42 seconds.
The towns have been enjoying their first-vote status since 1948 and it's a matter of pride to get everyone to the polls.
Hart's Location Selectman Mark Dindorf says you could call it a friendly competition to see who gets votes tallied first, although he says Hart's Location is a town and Dixville Notch is a precinct.
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving door...
- Vikings place Adrian Peterson on exempt list,...
- Striking or spanking a child is not a...
- US tobacco growers brace for tougher competition
- School police stock up on free military gear
- Scholarship lotteries, popular with everyone,...
- Child poverty just dropped for the first time...
- Top 15 states for education
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 69
- US wealth gap putting the squeeze on... 26
- Obama 'confident' of Islamic State... 19
- Utah's Gov. Gary Herbert eyes more... 12
- Chicago, NY, Hawaii on Obama library's... 12
- President Obama: Ebola outbreak a... 12
- School police stock up on free military... 10
- US won't rule out working with Iran... 6