President Obama, Mitt Romney tie in New Hampshire village of Dixville Notch (+video)
APTN, Associated Press
DIXVILLE NOTCH, N.H. (AP) — Residents of two tiny villages in northern New Hampshire headed to the polls at midnight, casting the first Election Day votes in the nation.
After 43 seconds of voting, President Barack Obama and Republican Mitt Romney each had 5 votes in Dixville Notch — the first time the community had a tie.
"I think the country is lucky, in a way, to have two good candidates," voter Tom Tillotson said. "But given the choice, I think we could move faster, further with essentially a proven leader in economic and business issues, and that's why I supported Mitt Romney. "
Donna Kaye Erwin cast her vote for Obama. She said she also considers the candidates for vice president when making her choice.
"That is the first decision the presidential candidate is making, who's their running mate. I feel comfortable with Joe Biden and the cabinet that we have, as far as their position in the world."
In Hart's Location, Obama had won with 23 votes, Romney received 9 and Libertarian Gary Johnson received 2 votes. Thirty-three votes were cast in 5 minutes, 42 seconds.
The towns have been enjoying their first-vote status since 1948 and it's a matter of pride to get everyone to the polls.
Hart's Location Selectman Mark Dindorf says you could call it a friendly competition to see who gets votes tallied first, although he says Hart's Location is a town and Dixville Notch is a precinct.
- AP Poll: Support grows among Americans for...
- IS attack on Afghan protest kills 80 people,...
- Political scandals linger as Philly readies...
- How Hillary Clinton chose Virginia Sen. Tim...
- Police say Munich suspect was obsessed with...
- AP PHOTOS: A selection of pictures from the...
- Hillary Clinton still hard to define despite...
- Penny-farthing owner keeps on riding
- Sarah Silverman: Bernie-or-bust Dems... 49
- Is Bernie Sanders an atheist? 42
- Clinton wins historic nomination,... 36
- After turmoil, Sanders, Michelle Obama,... 31
- Dems' division, emails roil party on... 28
- Trump says Russia should find Clinton's... 27
- Watch live at the Democratic National... 25
- In wake of email hack, Democratic chair... 23