FRESNO, Calif. — A parolee who worked at a California food service company opened fire at the business on Tuesday, killing one person and wounding three others, before shooting himself, police said.
The suspect was identified as Lawrence Jones, 42. Police said they didn't know what prompted the attack, although fellow employees told police he did not appear to be himself when he arrived at Apple Valley Farms Inc. for work.
"It is difficult to say at this point if in fact there was a specific target that Jones was looking for," Police Chief Jerry Dyer said. "There was something that must have provoked this incident, perhaps that occurred today, or maybe was building up to today."
Jones has an extensive criminal history dating back into the 1990s, Dyer said.
Police said they had Jones' home on lockdown and were searching to see if there were any other victims.
Jones arrived at work just before 5 a.m. About three-and-a-half hours into his shift, he pulled out a handgun and began firing, Dyer said.
About 30 employees witnessed the shooting, and there were a total of 62 people at work when the gunfire started.
"We have a lot of work ahead of us. We have at least 30 witnesses that we need to interview," Dyer said.
Officers found Jones with a gunshot wound to the head and a 32-year-old woman bleeding from a wound to her lower back outside the business. She was in stable condition, Dyer said.
Inside, a 32-year-old man was found with a fatal gunshot wound to the head; another 28-year-old man was shot in the neck and was in critical condition, and a 44-year-old man was also in critical condition with a gunshot wound to the head.
Police believe Jones' gunshot wound was self-inflicted. He was in extremely critical condition.
Apple Valley Farms Inc. is a food service equipment company that was established in 2005, according to online business records. A call to the company went to a voicemail recording that said "due to an emergency we are closed for the day."
- Live at the GOP convention: Donald Trump...
- Trump campaign dismisses criticism of Melania...
- No charges for St. Louis officers who killed...
- Group: Half of Syrian refugee kids in Lebanon...
- Marilyn Monroe's tresses and dresses going up...
- India lifts ban but Kashmir papers not...
- Poll: Many Brazilians think Olympic Games...
- Turkey fires 24,000 teachers, police in coup...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah... 64
- Trump campaign dismisses criticism of... 49
- Did the Republican Party just adopt the... 48
- Obama rejects Trump depiction of US in... 39
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 30
- Trump speechwriter apologizes for... 27