FRESNO, Calif. — A parolee who worked at a California food service company opened fire at the business on Tuesday, killing one person and wounding three others, before shooting himself, police said.
The suspect was identified as Lawrence Jones, 42. Police said they didn't know what prompted the attack, although fellow employees told police he did not appear to be himself when he arrived at Apple Valley Farms Inc. for work.
"It is difficult to say at this point if in fact there was a specific target that Jones was looking for," Police Chief Jerry Dyer said. "There was something that must have provoked this incident, perhaps that occurred today, or maybe was building up to today."
Jones has an extensive criminal history dating back into the 1990s, Dyer said.
Police said they had Jones' home on lockdown and were searching to see if there were any other victims.
Jones arrived at work just before 5 a.m. About three-and-a-half hours into his shift, he pulled out a handgun and began firing, Dyer said.
About 30 employees witnessed the shooting, and there were a total of 62 people at work when the gunfire started.
"We have a lot of work ahead of us. We have at least 30 witnesses that we need to interview," Dyer said.
Officers found Jones with a gunshot wound to the head and a 32-year-old woman bleeding from a wound to her lower back outside the business. She was in stable condition, Dyer said.
Inside, a 32-year-old man was found with a fatal gunshot wound to the head; another 28-year-old man was shot in the neck and was in critical condition, and a 44-year-old man was also in critical condition with a gunshot wound to the head.
Police believe Jones' gunshot wound was self-inflicted. He was in extremely critical condition.
Apple Valley Farms Inc. is a food service equipment company that was established in 2005, according to online business records. A call to the company went to a voicemail recording that said "due to an emergency we are closed for the day."
- A kiss, a prayer: The last hours of MH17's...
- Britain's little prince celebrates first...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising concerns...
- Appreciating sacrifice: Deployed soldiers...
- Plane crashes while landing in Taiwan,...
- Medicaid enrollees strain Oregon; state...
- Appeals courts issue contradictory rulings on...
- 11 parents of Nigeria's abducted girls die;...
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby... 49
- Appeals courts issue contradictory... 48
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 44
- Gov. Rick Perry sending National Guard... 23
- Despite crush of children, illegal... 16
- Obama voices concern about casualties... 14
- Unaccompanied children from Central... 12
- Obama fundraises for Dems; demands GOP... 11