High school football: Alta's Ammon Barker commits to UCLA
SANDY — Alta High senior receiver Ammon Barker informed the Deseret News via text message that he will sign a national letter of intent to play for UCLA next season.
"He went down there in the summer and competed in the camp, so they got to see him. I think he's going to fit into the system very well," Alta coach Bob Stephens said. "I believe they want to stick him kind of in the slot position and utilize (his) strength and speed."
As a senior, Barker had 55 receptions for 1,110 yards and scored 13 touchdowns. As a three-year contributor, Barker finished his career with 105 catches for 1,907 yards and 25 scores.
At 6-foot-4 and 210 pounds, Barker excelled with quick dump passes and crossing routes that allowed him to find open space with 4.4 40-yard speed. The decision to commit came quickly after the Bruins officially offered last week.
"I knew that (UCLA) offered him last week and it's somewhere Ammon has wanted to go for a while," Stephens said. "I'm glad it worked out for him and he's going to do a great job down there. They're going to love him."
Barker also held offers from Hawaii, Utah, Utah State, Weber State and Southern Utah according to Scout.com.
But Barker may not be the only Utah prep football player to don the UCLA powder blue next season.
Cottonwood's three-star recruit Siale "Havili" Fakailoatonga announced via Facebook his intentions to also sign with UCLA next year.
"Me an my boy Ammon are gonna tear it up at UCLA next year!! Too excited!!" Fakailoatonga wrote.
When reached by telephone Monday afternoon, Fakailoatonga told the Deseret News his intentions to make an official visit in Pasadena and if everything goes according to plan make the commitment "in person."
Fakailoatonga currently holds offers from UCLA, BYU, California, Utah State and Utah according to Scout.com.
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 48
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 40
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 36
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26