High school football: Alta's Ammon Barker commits to UCLA
SANDY — Alta High senior receiver Ammon Barker informed the Deseret News via text message that he will sign a national letter of intent to play for UCLA next season.
"He went down there in the summer and competed in the camp, so they got to see him. I think he's going to fit into the system very well," Alta coach Bob Stephens said. "I believe they want to stick him kind of in the slot position and utilize (his) strength and speed."
As a senior, Barker had 55 receptions for 1,110 yards and scored 13 touchdowns. As a three-year contributor, Barker finished his career with 105 catches for 1,907 yards and 25 scores.
At 6-foot-4 and 210 pounds, Barker excelled with quick dump passes and crossing routes that allowed him to find open space with 4.4 40-yard speed. The decision to commit came quickly after the Bruins officially offered last week.
"I knew that (UCLA) offered him last week and it's somewhere Ammon has wanted to go for a while," Stephens said. "I'm glad it worked out for him and he's going to do a great job down there. They're going to love him."
Barker also held offers from Hawaii, Utah, Utah State, Weber State and Southern Utah according to Scout.com.
But Barker may not be the only Utah prep football player to don the UCLA powder blue next season.
Cottonwood's three-star recruit Siale "Havili" Fakailoatonga announced via Facebook his intentions to also sign with UCLA next year.
"Me an my boy Ammon are gonna tear it up at UCLA next year!! Too excited!!" Fakailoatonga wrote.
When reached by telephone Monday afternoon, Fakailoatonga told the Deseret News his intentions to make an official visit in Pasadena and if everything goes according to plan make the commitment "in person."
Fakailoatonga currently holds offers from UCLA, BYU, California, Utah State and Utah according to Scout.com.
- The 1990 NBA draft redone: See how a pair of...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback Austin...
- Utahns in baseball: BYU alum Adam Law breaks...
- Amy Donaldson: It's easy for this working...
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up...
- Utah Jazz: Terry Rozier’s toughness...
- Syracuse sophomore Hunter Woodhall chases...
- Utah Jazz host third pre-draft workout,...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 45
- Links: BYU gets a new commitment; Utes... 43
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 39
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders... 31
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on... 15
- Morning links: SI features Frank... 11
- BYU baseball team confident entering... 8