Brad Rock: Rock On: BYU recruit Jabari Parker may take it a different direction
Energized by the possibility of the Cougars landing Chicago prep basketball star Jabari Parker, some BYU fans have started a campaign to make it happen.
They are selling T-shirts that say "Chicago to Provo," to be worn at a home basketball game that Parker will be attending this month.
Hmmm … Chicago to Provo. That seems a little ambiguous.
How do they know he won't hang a left on 900 East and end up at the Missionary Training Center instead of the Marriott Center?
The World Series victory parade in San Francisco last week included manager Bruce Bochy riding the route in a Rolls Royce limousine.
All went well until the car ran out of gas and fans had to push it 200 yards to the finish line.
Talk about embarrassing — an empty tank at the big event.
But enough about the Detroit Tigers.
If things go as hoped for Utah State, the Aggies will represent the WAC in the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl next month.
The bowl officially and prominently bills itself as "the nation's longest-running outdoor cold-weather bowl."
Isn't that like selling oneself as the nation's No.1 maker of zero gravity leisure wear?
First there was Muhammad Ali and the professional kick-boxer. Then came Tonya Harding vs. Paula Jones and Manute Bol vs. Refrigerator Perry.
The newest dog-and-pony show on the horizon is a boxing match between Fox Sports columnist Jason Whitlock and Shaquille O'Neal.
Last week Whitlock tweeted that O'Neal was "opening the season out of shape, as usual" to which O'Neal replied on ESPN: "Jason Whitlock, I tell you what: You can come down here and box me any time you want."
Rock On thinks the only thing less interesting than watching a columnist fight a commentator is watching late-night programming on ESPN and Fox Sports.
Pro athletes are the fittest people on earth.
Jazz forward Marvin Williams told the Standard-Examiner that until a recent nutrition change, he ate as many as seven candy bars a day.
Does this mean the nickname "Candy Man" Williams is a possibility?
There's something about Marvin "Celery Sticks" Williams that just doesn't work.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: therockmonsterFacebook: rockmonsterunplugged
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's quarterback,...
- Utah high school boys basketball previews:...
- Former Ute Delon Wright, former Cougar Jimmer...
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan against...
- BYU's Rose adjusts lineup — freshman...
- How did they fare? Locals in the NFL roundup...
- Rock On: A bad day gets worse for Whittingham
- Morning links: Utah, USU pick up commitments...
- 13th-ranked Utes go south, drop pivotal... 128
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 54
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes disappoint but not... 52
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 45
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 42
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 39
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 38
- Live updates: No. 13 Utah takes on UCLA... 35