Brad Rock: Rock On: BYU recruit Jabari Parker may take it a different direction
Energized by the possibility of the Cougars landing Chicago prep basketball star Jabari Parker, some BYU fans have started a campaign to make it happen.
They are selling T-shirts that say "Chicago to Provo," to be worn at a home basketball game that Parker will be attending this month.
Hmmm … Chicago to Provo. That seems a little ambiguous.
How do they know he won't hang a left on 900 East and end up at the Missionary Training Center instead of the Marriott Center?
The World Series victory parade in San Francisco last week included manager Bruce Bochy riding the route in a Rolls Royce limousine.
All went well until the car ran out of gas and fans had to push it 200 yards to the finish line.
Talk about embarrassing — an empty tank at the big event.
But enough about the Detroit Tigers.
If things go as hoped for Utah State, the Aggies will represent the WAC in the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl next month.
The bowl officially and prominently bills itself as "the nation's longest-running outdoor cold-weather bowl."
Isn't that like selling oneself as the nation's No.1 maker of zero gravity leisure wear?
First there was Muhammad Ali and the professional kick-boxer. Then came Tonya Harding vs. Paula Jones and Manute Bol vs. Refrigerator Perry.
The newest dog-and-pony show on the horizon is a boxing match between Fox Sports columnist Jason Whitlock and Shaquille O'Neal.
Last week Whitlock tweeted that O'Neal was "opening the season out of shape, as usual" to which O'Neal replied on ESPN: "Jason Whitlock, I tell you what: You can come down here and box me any time you want."
Rock On thinks the only thing less interesting than watching a columnist fight a commentator is watching late-night programming on ESPN and Fox Sports.
Pro athletes are the fittest people on earth.
Jazz forward Marvin Williams told the Standard-Examiner that until a recent nutrition change, he ate as many as seven candy bars a day.
Does this mean the nickname "Candy Man" Williams is a possibility?
There's something about Marvin "Celery Sticks" Williams that just doesn't work.
Email: email@example.com Twitter: therockmonsterFacebook: rockmonsterunplugged
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- Penn State sweeps BYU for a record seventh...
- Jennifer Hamson to lace it up for BYU one...
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Dick Harmon: Execution, not words, will crown...
- Injured Tyler Haws could play when BYU hosts...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Utah State caps historic season with win over...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 61
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 40
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28