At a gas station in Mount Vernon, N.Y., north of New York City, 62 cars were lined up around the block Sunday morning even though it was closed and had no fuel.
"I heard they might be getting a delivery. So I came here and I'm waiting," said the first driver in line, Earl Tuck. He had been there at least two hours by 9 a.m., and there was no delivery truck in sight. But he said he would stick it out.
The cashier at the station, Ahmed Nawaz, said he wasn't sure when the pumps might be running again. "We are expecting a delivery. But yesterday we weren't expecting one, and we got one. So I don't know," he said.
Bloomberg said that resolving the gas shortages could take days. Across northern New Jersey, Gov. Chris Christie imposed odd-even gas rationing that recalled the gasoline crisis of the 1970s.
Fears of crime, especially at night in darkened neighborhoods, persisted. Officers in the Midland Beach section of Staten Island early Saturday saw a man in a Red Cross jacket checking the front doors of unoccupied houses and arrested him on a burglary charge.
After complaints about people posing as utility workers to gain access to people's homes, police on Long Island reminded residents that most repair work will be done outside so legitimate workers usually have no need to enter a home.
Associated Press writers Ben Nuckols in Wall, N.J.; Katie Zezima in Jersey City, N.J.; Jim Fitzgerald in Mount Vernon, N.Y.; and Verena Dobnik, AJ Connelly, Cara Anna and Larry Neumeister in New York contributed to this report.
- In Disney World's shadow, homeless families...
- Justin Bieber apologizes for Japan war shrine...
- Vegas’ water drying up
- Sherpas leave Everest; some expeditions nix...
- Gas explosion forces Wyoming town to evacuate
- Grieving borrowers told to repay student loan
- Costa Rica is demanding US explain 'Cuban...
- Student debt holds back many would-be home...
- Affordable Care Act only chips away at... 26
- Supreme Court upholds Michigan's... 25
- Judge: Indiana hasn't given valid... 21
- Grieving borrowers told to repay... 19
- Vegas’ water drying up 15
- Public smoke-out marks pot holiday in... 12
- Boogeymen and shady deals define spin... 12
- Some countries get Obama, but want his... 11