At a gas station in Mount Vernon, N.Y., north of New York City, 62 cars were lined up around the block Sunday morning even though it was closed and had no fuel.
"I heard they might be getting a delivery. So I came here and I'm waiting," said the first driver in line, Earl Tuck. He had been there at least two hours by 9 a.m., and there was no delivery truck in sight. But he said he would stick it out.
The cashier at the station, Ahmed Nawaz, said he wasn't sure when the pumps might be running again. "We are expecting a delivery. But yesterday we weren't expecting one, and we got one. So I don't know," he said.
Bloomberg said that resolving the gas shortages could take days. Across northern New Jersey, Gov. Chris Christie imposed odd-even gas rationing that recalled the gasoline crisis of the 1970s.
Fears of crime, especially at night in darkened neighborhoods, persisted. Officers in the Midland Beach section of Staten Island early Saturday saw a man in a Red Cross jacket checking the front doors of unoccupied houses and arrested him on a burglary charge.
After complaints about people posing as utility workers to gain access to people's homes, police on Long Island reminded residents that most repair work will be done outside so legitimate workers usually have no need to enter a home.
Associated Press writers Ben Nuckols in Wall, N.J.; Katie Zezima in Jersey City, N.J.; Jim Fitzgerald in Mount Vernon, N.Y.; and Verena Dobnik, AJ Connelly, Cara Anna and Larry Neumeister in New York contributed to this report.
- Mitt Romney talks IRS, AP records, Benghazi...
- Fly a flag for Cody: Army confirms Utah man...
- Republicans try to link IRS scandal, Obama's...
- LDS missionary 'stable' following hit-and-run...
- 'Star Trek: Into Darkness' does $70.6M but...
- Navy dolphins discover rare 19th-century torpedo
- White House insists Obama was not involved in...
- Tea party looks to take advantage of moment
- Mitt Romney talks IRS, AP records,... 63
- Journalists push back against Obama... 21
- Angry Orrin Hatch: IRS guilty of... 19
- White House insists Obama was not... 18
- House chairman sees IRS targeting as... 16
- Republicans try to link IRS scandal,... 12
- President Obama walking a familiar path... 11
- Tea party looks to take advantage of... 10