Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
Here are the top 10 reasons to just say no to Millcreek Incorporation: 1) You are satisfied with services you receive from the county. 2) You want to remain with the Unified Police Department and not create a new city police department with higher costs and/or reduced services. 3) You know that despite vows otherwise, the pro-side is already talking about its own police force. 4) You are convinced incorporation would create another layer of government, raising your taxes. 5) You know that cities levy franchise taxes on utility bills, while counties cannot.
6) You know the 2011 Feasibility Study did not include start-up costs, which the county is not obligated to provide. 7) You know annexation is not an immediate threat, as township boundaries are protected, and annexation requires a property owners' petition. 8) You fear that a new cash-strapped city would fall prey to pressures of developers promising millions for monster developments. 9) You distrust the pro-side's sneaky tactics, like successfully lobbying the Legislature to reduce the number of signatures required to get incorporation on the ballot and getting a misleading insert into the Millcreek Township News, which was, in reality, a pro-side ad.
10) Protect and preserve our township.
Salt Lake City
- My view: Utah leaders, don't let EPA fool you...
- In our opinion: After change to state pension...
- Letter: Eroding the BSA
- Letter: Methane benefits
- Richard Davis: Planned Parenthood scandal...
- Jay Evensen: Muhammad Yunus wants to end...
- In our opinion: Time to phase out federal...
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument in...
- In our opinion: Trump's statements on... 71
- Letter: Eroding the BSA 62
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument... 47
- In our opinion: Teacher pay one way to... 45
- Richard Davis: Planned Parenthood... 38
- In our opinion: Time to phase out... 27
- My view: Utah leaders, don't let EPA... 25
- Jay Evensen: Muhammad Yunus wants to... 22