Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
Here are the top 10 reasons to just say no to Millcreek Incorporation: 1) You are satisfied with services you receive from the county. 2) You want to remain with the Unified Police Department and not create a new city police department with higher costs and/or reduced services. 3) You know that despite vows otherwise, the pro-side is already talking about its own police force. 4) You are convinced incorporation would create another layer of government, raising your taxes. 5) You know that cities levy franchise taxes on utility bills, while counties cannot.
6) You know the 2011 Feasibility Study did not include start-up costs, which the county is not obligated to provide. 7) You know annexation is not an immediate threat, as township boundaries are protected, and annexation requires a property owners' petition. 8) You fear that a new cash-strapped city would fall prey to pressures of developers promising millions for monster developments. 9) You distrust the pro-side's sneaky tactics, like successfully lobbying the Legislature to reduce the number of signatures required to get incorporation on the ballot and getting a misleading insert into the Millcreek Township News, which was, in reality, a pro-side ad.
10) Protect and preserve our township.
Salt Lake City
- Who said it: Reagan or Clinton?
- Doug Robinson: Making sense of retired...
- Jay Evensen: Forest Service photo rules are...
- Janna Darnelle: Redefining marriage hurts...
- 5 reasons Mitt Romney will probably run for...
- Letter: Sluggish global warming
- Letter: Campaign disservice
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: For my grandpa
- Janna Darnelle: Redefining marriage... 109
- 5 reasons Mitt Romney will probably run... 67
- John Hoffmire: Save capitalism by... 47
- In our opinion: Here's how the Obama... 41
- Drew Clark: Either view of marriage... 40
- Letter: Sluggish global warming 35
- Robert Bennett: Make climate... 30
- Letter: Enforcing the dress code 30