Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
Here are the top 10 reasons to just say no to Millcreek Incorporation: 1) You are satisfied with services you receive from the county. 2) You want to remain with the Unified Police Department and not create a new city police department with higher costs and/or reduced services. 3) You know that despite vows otherwise, the pro-side is already talking about its own police force. 4) You are convinced incorporation would create another layer of government, raising your taxes. 5) You know that cities levy franchise taxes on utility bills, while counties cannot.
6) You know the 2011 Feasibility Study did not include start-up costs, which the county is not obligated to provide. 7) You know annexation is not an immediate threat, as township boundaries are protected, and annexation requires a property owners' petition. 8) You fear that a new cash-strapped city would fall prey to pressures of developers promising millions for monster developments. 9) You distrust the pro-side's sneaky tactics, like successfully lobbying the Legislature to reduce the number of signatures required to get incorporation on the ballot and getting a misleading insert into the Millcreek Township News, which was, in reality, a pro-side ad.
10) Protect and preserve our township.
Salt Lake City
- My view: Common Core tests erode parental rights
- George F. Will: IRS continues to act in...
- Letter: Same stale air
- Richard Davis: Let the voters decide the...
- In our opinion: Revisiting Abraham Lincoln's...
- Letter: Conflict of interest
- Jay Evensen: Though complicated, Corradini...
- Bob Bennett: Climate change question should...
- Bob Bennett: Climate change question... 95
- Mia Love: Big government needs to get... 92
- Letter: Same stale air 44
- My view: Common Core tests erode... 38
- Letter: Mandated freedom 37
- In our opinion: Talking of tax reform... 28
- Letter: Who's against Healthy Utah? 27
- John Florez: Lawmakers broke the... 25