Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
Here are the top 10 reasons to just say no to Millcreek Incorporation: 1) You are satisfied with services you receive from the county. 2) You want to remain with the Unified Police Department and not create a new city police department with higher costs and/or reduced services. 3) You know that despite vows otherwise, the pro-side is already talking about its own police force. 4) You are convinced incorporation would create another layer of government, raising your taxes. 5) You know that cities levy franchise taxes on utility bills, while counties cannot.
6) You know the 2011 Feasibility Study did not include start-up costs, which the county is not obligated to provide. 7) You know annexation is not an immediate threat, as township boundaries are protected, and annexation requires a property owners' petition. 8) You fear that a new cash-strapped city would fall prey to pressures of developers promising millions for monster developments. 9) You distrust the pro-side's sneaky tactics, like successfully lobbying the Legislature to reduce the number of signatures required to get incorporation on the ballot and getting a misleading insert into the Millcreek Township News, which was, in reality, a pro-side ad.
10) Protect and preserve our township.
Salt Lake City
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument in...
- Letter: Eroding the BSA
- Richard Davis: Planned Parenthood scandal...
- In our opinion: Time to phase out federal...
- In our opinion: Teacher pay one way to help...
- Letter: Envision Utah scam
- Jay Evensen: Muhammad Yunus wants to end...
- Five principles to help guide public dialogue...
- In our opinion: Trump's statements on... 69
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument... 45
- Letter: Eroding the BSA 45
- Letter: Human body 41
- In our opinion: Teacher pay one way to... 40
- Richard Davis: Planned Parenthood... 35
- In our opinion: Time to phase out... 24
- In our opinion: School libraries need... 19