SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — Jay Haas matched the Champions Tour record with a 10-under 60 to open a five-stroke lead Friday in the Charles Schwab Cup Championship.
The 58-year-old Haas made a 5-foot birdie putt on the par-5 18th after hitting his second shot into a greenside bunker and leaving his eagle blast short.
"It was just a very magical day for me," said Haas, paired with close friend Fred Couples.
Haas became the eighth player in the history of the 50-and-over tour to shoot 60, and the first since Nick Price last year.
Jay Don Blake, of St. George, the defending champion and first-round leader, followed his opening 64 with a 71 to drop into a tie for eighth at 5-under. Blake won last year at TPC Harding Park in San Francisco.
HSBC CHAMPIONS: At Shenzhen, China, Louis Oosthuizen again took advantage of the par 5s at Mission Hills, shooting a 9-under 63 to build a five-shot lead and break a World Golf Championships record that previously belonged to Tiger Woods. Along with opening a five-shot lead over Ernie Els — his South African mentor — Oosthuizen reached 16-under 128. That's the lowest score to par through 36 holes in any World Golf Championships event since they began in 1999.
MIZUNO CLASSIC: At Shima, Japan, South Korea's Jiyai Shin and Japan's Ayako Uehara shot 4-under 68 to share the first-round lead.
ASIA-PACIFIC AMATEUR: At Bangkok, Chinese teen Guan Tianlang opened a five-shot lead in the Asia-Pacific Amateur, making nine birdies on his way to an 8-under 64.
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get washed away...
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0
- Despite the loss, Savannah State coach...
- High school football: Bingham accepts invite...
- Jimmer Fredette trying to keep his head up as...
- BYU's senior day emotional for Cougar coach...
- Dick Harmon: Regardless of circusmtances,...
- Brad Rock: Arizona teaches Utes about waiting
- BYU's Hill plans to return for senior... 116
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 114
- Runnin' Utes lose defensive battle at... 68
- Utes still have outside chance at... 37
- UHSAA's Board of Trustees assigns high... 36
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 32
- For BYU, it's not about opponent... 30
- Freshman Jake Toolson leads Cougars... 21