SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — Jay Haas matched the Champions Tour record with a 10-under 60 to open a five-stroke lead Friday in the Charles Schwab Cup Championship.
The 58-year-old Haas made a 5-foot birdie putt on the par-5 18th after hitting his second shot into a greenside bunker and leaving his eagle blast short.
"It was just a very magical day for me," said Haas, paired with close friend Fred Couples.
Haas became the eighth player in the history of the 50-and-over tour to shoot 60, and the first since Nick Price last year.
Jay Don Blake, of St. George, the defending champion and first-round leader, followed his opening 64 with a 71 to drop into a tie for eighth at 5-under. Blake won last year at TPC Harding Park in San Francisco.
HSBC CHAMPIONS: At Shenzhen, China, Louis Oosthuizen again took advantage of the par 5s at Mission Hills, shooting a 9-under 63 to build a five-shot lead and break a World Golf Championships record that previously belonged to Tiger Woods. Along with opening a five-shot lead over Ernie Els — his South African mentor — Oosthuizen reached 16-under 128. That's the lowest score to par through 36 holes in any World Golf Championships event since they began in 1999.
MIZUNO CLASSIC: At Shima, Japan, South Korea's Jiyai Shin and Japan's Ayako Uehara shot 4-under 68 to share the first-round lead.
ASIA-PACIFIC AMATEUR: At Bangkok, Chinese teen Guan Tianlang opened a five-shot lead in the Asia-Pacific Amateur, making nine birdies on his way to an 8-under 64.
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coaches will take the win...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- UVU men's soccer makes its program debut with...
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- USU football: Aggies geared up to take on the...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- First steps: Utes open season with... 65
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48
- Enemy camp: What UConn media thinks... 41