SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — Jay Haas matched the Champions Tour record with a 10-under 60 to open a five-stroke lead Friday in the Charles Schwab Cup Championship.
The 58-year-old Haas made a 5-foot birdie putt on the par-5 18th after hitting his second shot into a greenside bunker and leaving his eagle blast short.
"It was just a very magical day for me," said Haas, paired with close friend Fred Couples.
Haas became the eighth player in the history of the 50-and-over tour to shoot 60, and the first since Nick Price last year.
Jay Don Blake, of St. George, the defending champion and first-round leader, followed his opening 64 with a 71 to drop into a tie for eighth at 5-under. Blake won last year at TPC Harding Park in San Francisco.
HSBC CHAMPIONS: At Shenzhen, China, Louis Oosthuizen again took advantage of the par 5s at Mission Hills, shooting a 9-under 63 to build a five-shot lead and break a World Golf Championships record that previously belonged to Tiger Woods. Along with opening a five-shot lead over Ernie Els — his South African mentor — Oosthuizen reached 16-under 128. That's the lowest score to par through 36 holes in any World Golf Championships event since they began in 1999.
MIZUNO CLASSIC: At Shima, Japan, South Korea's Jiyai Shin and Japan's Ayako Uehara shot 4-under 68 to share the first-round lead.
ASIA-PACIFIC AMATEUR: At Bangkok, Chinese teen Guan Tianlang opened a five-shot lead in the Asia-Pacific Amateur, making nine birdies on his way to an 8-under 64.
- Morning links: Former BYU player Paul Lasike...
- BYU football: Fred Warner, other...
- Dick Harmon: As camps open, Utes, Cougs and...
- Back from injury, BYU QB Taysom Hill wants...
- Utes football fan raising money to put 'Utah'...
- Dante Exum returning to Utah after injuring...
- High school football: Alta Hawks 2015 preview
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 35
- Whittingham says Hatfield is still... 30
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's... 27
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 24
- Pac-12 media day: Utah Kyle Whittingham... 17
- Dick Harmon: As camps open, Utes, Cougs... 17
- Morning links: BYU letting fans... 16
- BYU football: Fred Warner, other... 16