SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — Jay Haas matched the Champions Tour record with a 10-under 60 to open a five-stroke lead Friday in the Charles Schwab Cup Championship.
The 58-year-old Haas made a 5-foot birdie putt on the par-5 18th after hitting his second shot into a greenside bunker and leaving his eagle blast short.
"It was just a very magical day for me," said Haas, paired with close friend Fred Couples.
Haas became the eighth player in the history of the 50-and-over tour to shoot 60, and the first since Nick Price last year.
Jay Don Blake, of St. George, the defending champion and first-round leader, followed his opening 64 with a 71 to drop into a tie for eighth at 5-under. Blake won last year at TPC Harding Park in San Francisco.
HSBC CHAMPIONS: At Shenzhen, China, Louis Oosthuizen again took advantage of the par 5s at Mission Hills, shooting a 9-under 63 to build a five-shot lead and break a World Golf Championships record that previously belonged to Tiger Woods. Along with opening a five-shot lead over Ernie Els — his South African mentor — Oosthuizen reached 16-under 128. That's the lowest score to par through 36 holes in any World Golf Championships event since they began in 1999.
MIZUNO CLASSIC: At Shima, Japan, South Korea's Jiyai Shin and Japan's Ayako Uehara shot 4-under 68 to share the first-round lead.
ASIA-PACIFIC AMATEUR: At Bangkok, Chinese teen Guan Tianlang opened a five-shot lead in the Asia-Pacific Amateur, making nine birdies on his way to an 8-under 64.
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Utah Jazz give key starters a break in 98-91...
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Utes continue Pac-12 'meat grinder' with...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 46
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 25