SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — Jay Haas matched the Champions Tour record with a 10-under 60 to open a five-stroke lead Friday in the Charles Schwab Cup Championship.
The 58-year-old Haas made a 5-foot birdie putt on the par-5 18th after hitting his second shot into a greenside bunker and leaving his eagle blast short.
"It was just a very magical day for me," said Haas, paired with close friend Fred Couples.
Haas became the eighth player in the history of the 50-and-over tour to shoot 60, and the first since Nick Price last year.
Jay Don Blake, of St. George, the defending champion and first-round leader, followed his opening 64 with a 71 to drop into a tie for eighth at 5-under. Blake won last year at TPC Harding Park in San Francisco.
HSBC CHAMPIONS: At Shenzhen, China, Louis Oosthuizen again took advantage of the par 5s at Mission Hills, shooting a 9-under 63 to build a five-shot lead and break a World Golf Championships record that previously belonged to Tiger Woods. Along with opening a five-shot lead over Ernie Els — his South African mentor — Oosthuizen reached 16-under 128. That's the lowest score to par through 36 holes in any World Golf Championships event since they began in 1999.
MIZUNO CLASSIC: At Shima, Japan, South Korea's Jiyai Shin and Japan's Ayako Uehara shot 4-under 68 to share the first-round lead.
ASIA-PACIFIC AMATEUR: At Bangkok, Chinese teen Guan Tianlang opened a five-shot lead in the Asia-Pacific Amateur, making nine birdies on his way to an 8-under 64.
- Utah's first family of boxing loses one of...
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football winner...
- Morning links: Utes land a local commitment...
- BYU basketball guard Anson Winder and...
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball, slow down
- Local flavor in the NBA (and beyond): Lillard...
- A Super Bowl 1st-timer, Utah native Sealver...
- Utah Jazz forward Gordon Hayward gets a...
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 41
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 39
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 34
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 33
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 31
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 28
- Utes get it done at home again 21