4A football playoffs: Mountain Crest Mustangs up-tempo too much for Braves to handle
HYRUM — Mountain Crest rolled over Bountiful in their 41-0 win at home in the quarterfinals of the 4A state playoffs.
It was ugly for the Braves from the opening kickoff, when senior Faimafili Laulu Pututau returned the kick back to the Bountiful 40-yard line to set up the fast-paced, hurry-up Mountain Crest offense. Senior quarterback Jamison Webb finished the opening drive with a 1-yard run into the end zone to put the Mustangs up 7-0 with 10:21 left in the first quarter.
"That was a great tempo builder," Webb said of the kickoff return. "It just gave us the momentum we needed to get things done."
Mountain Crest head coach Mark Wootton said it was Netzel's fourth score of the year.
"He's outscored a lot of our offensive kids," Wootton said. "We're not big, but the kids played hard and real fast today, very physical, very aggressive, very good job."
Junior running back Nick Taylor added a 1-yard run with 4:14 left in the half to put the Mustangs up 21-0.
Junior Gaje Fergeson came up with the second pick-six of the game. The Mountain Crest linebacker put his mitts on a Holman pass batted by one of his defensive lineman and took the ball in 25 yards to make it 28-0 with 10 minutes left in the third quarter.
Fergeson also had a sack and forced fumble in the game, in addition to his three tackles and two pass breakups.
"He's just a physical athlete, he plays real hard," Wootton said. "He's had a great season."
Webb added another touchdown scamper in the third quarter, this one from eight yards out to make it 34-0 after a missed point-after attempt.
"We executed perfectly," Webb said. "My linemen gave me enough time to do what I needed to do."
Wootton was pleased with his quarterback.
"(Webb) was just on fire today," Wootton said. "We kind of felt this was a game he was going to break out in and he did."
Taylor put the last exclamation point on the victory with a 5-yard run to put the Mustangs up 41-0.
With the win, Mountain Crest advances to the semifinals and will face the winner of the Highland vs. Orem game.
- BYU football: Cougars to play Washington in...
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes coming...
- Former Cougar Dennis Pitta scores first...
- Utah State football: Aggies will take on No....
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle Whittingham...
- Dick Harmon: John Beck very impressed with...
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher out BCS...
- Utah Jazz: Derrick Favors, Marvin Williams...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 97
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much... 62
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 52
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 46
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 31
- BYU vs. No. 21 UMass live blog:... 27
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 27