Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Predictions: Who will come out on top this Election Day?
Webb: Mia Love upsets Matheson on the strength of Romney's coattails. The only significant Democratic win is McAdams in the Salt Lake County mayoral race. He wins narrowly because of a superior air war with positive and humorous ads, and a feeling among some moderate Republicans that they ought to vote for at least one Democrat.
Who will win the presidency and why?
Pignanelli: Millions of "Reagan Democrats" delivered a landslide to the Republican challenger in 1980. "Romney Democrats" are a limited species, so Obama wins Ohio and the Electoral College. Obama wins the popular vote with less than 1 percent margin.
Webb: As I've written previously, I'm probably like a lot of older-generation Mormons, who still harbor a bit of persecution complex in the way we expect the world to view us and treat us. We're a peculiar people and proud of it, and we expect to take some abuse. So it's been a bit hard to bring myself to believe that a committed Mormon could actually be elected to the most powerful position on earth. But Romney has done remarkably well. I questioned whether he could even win the Republican nomination. So I, for one, am extremely proud of him. And I'll put my insecurities aside and predict he's going to win on Tuesday because a majority of voters want a fresh start.
Republican LaVarr Webb is a political consultant and lobbyist. Previously he was policy deputy to Gov. Mike Leavitt and Deseret News managing editor. Email: email@example.com. Democrat Frank Pignanelli is a Salt Lake attorney, lobbyist and political adviser. Pignanelli served 10 years in the Utah House of Representatives, six years as minority leader. His spouse, D'Arcy Dixon Pignanelli, is a state tax commissioner. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- My view: History lesson — 'Taking back'...
- In our opinion: Boy Scouts of America and...
- In our opinion: With caucus compromise, Utah...
- John Florez: Education — Big government...
- Letter: A 'dying' document
- In our opinion: Prison relocation iffy
- Letter: Religious freedom
- Was Hillary right to compare Putin to Hitler?
- Letter: Minimum Wage insufficient 67
- Has Obama's foreign policy emboldened... 62
- Jay Evensen: Obama could use a dose of... 60
- Letter: Religious freedom 53
- In our opinion: Boy Scouts of America... 32
- Sen. Ted Cruz opens 2014 CPAC with... 30
- Was Hillary right to compare Putin to... 30
- Senate defeats Obama in Justice nod 21