Stuart Johnson Deseret News
I've lived in Orem for the past 35 years, so I feel qualified to praise the quality of services we Orem citizens enjoy: our parks are beautiful; our library, with its extensive collections and various programs — cultural and educational — enriches the lives of our citizens of all ages; our water, sewer and street systems work the way they should; our building department's excellence results in reduced property insurance rates for us; the recreation and senior citizen programs are amazing; our attorneys prosecute criminal activity and protect the city legally; our police and firefighters are qualified and conscientious, responding in every dire circumstance and even the routine ones in a professional and compassionate manner.
Prices have gone up in every sector, but amazingly, in spite of the huge loss of sales tax revenue that has supported the city in past years, it's expected that Orem should continue to provide the same level of service without needed operating funds.
Orem citizens should recognize the awesome bang for their buck they get living in Orem. Those who are dissatisfied with some aspect of city government can go to City Council members and resolve the issues they may have, however, as local government goes, the city of Orem is one of the absolute best. It's worth it (the property tax) to live in Orem.
- In our opinion: A slippery 'immoral' Tweet
- Charles Krauthammer: Solution to inversion is...
- School fees: Is Utah really family friendly?
- Letter: Society puzzles
- 20 of the most influential and innovative...
- Equality in family life does not mean sameness
- Jay Evensen: Utahns support Common Core, even...
- Michael Gerson: State of Israel: History...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb:... 82
- Letter: Police brutality 62
- School fees: Is Utah really family... 48
- Mary Barker: Our economic discourse... 43
- Richard Davis: The State Board can do... 42
- In our opinion: A slippery 'immoral' Tweet 39
- Constitutional commitments trump tribal... 35
- Letter: Society puzzles 32