Stuart Johnson Deseret News
I've lived in Orem for the past 35 years, so I feel qualified to praise the quality of services we Orem citizens enjoy: our parks are beautiful; our library, with its extensive collections and various programs — cultural and educational — enriches the lives of our citizens of all ages; our water, sewer and street systems work the way they should; our building department's excellence results in reduced property insurance rates for us; the recreation and senior citizen programs are amazing; our attorneys prosecute criminal activity and protect the city legally; our police and firefighters are qualified and conscientious, responding in every dire circumstance and even the routine ones in a professional and compassionate manner.
Prices have gone up in every sector, but amazingly, in spite of the huge loss of sales tax revenue that has supported the city in past years, it's expected that Orem should continue to provide the same level of service without needed operating funds.
Orem citizens should recognize the awesome bang for their buck they get living in Orem. Those who are dissatisfied with some aspect of city government can go to City Council members and resolve the issues they may have, however, as local government goes, the city of Orem is one of the absolute best. It's worth it (the property tax) to live in Orem.
- In our opinion: Scouting success will come...
- My view: Why moderates lost the caucus vote
- Lois M. Collins: Kids' summer 'bucket list'...
- Letters: No welfare, ever
- My view: UDOT listened, made a good choice
- In our opinion: Big screen exploitation of...
- Search for extraterrestrial life goes on,...
- Top scandals and controversies of each United...
- Letters: No welfare, ever 69
- My view: Why moderates lost the caucus... 31
- Letter: The real death panel:... 30
- Tolerance and the same-sex marriage debate 29
- In our opinion: Big screen exploitation... 25
- Matthew Sanders: Imploding trust in... 20
- Robert J. Samuelson: Can Americans stem... 18
- In our opinion: Scouting success will... 18