Stuart Johnson Deseret News
I've lived in Orem for the past 35 years, so I feel qualified to praise the quality of services we Orem citizens enjoy: our parks are beautiful; our library, with its extensive collections and various programs — cultural and educational — enriches the lives of our citizens of all ages; our water, sewer and street systems work the way they should; our building department's excellence results in reduced property insurance rates for us; the recreation and senior citizen programs are amazing; our attorneys prosecute criminal activity and protect the city legally; our police and firefighters are qualified and conscientious, responding in every dire circumstance and even the routine ones in a professional and compassionate manner.
Prices have gone up in every sector, but amazingly, in spite of the huge loss of sales tax revenue that has supported the city in past years, it's expected that Orem should continue to provide the same level of service without needed operating funds.
Orem citizens should recognize the awesome bang for their buck they get living in Orem. Those who are dissatisfied with some aspect of city government can go to City Council members and resolve the issues they may have, however, as local government goes, the city of Orem is one of the absolute best. It's worth it (the property tax) to live in Orem.
- 10 things you never knew about the FBI
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah...
- In our opinion: The long-term outlook for...
- Robert Bennett: Hamas and its financial...
- My view: Balancing personal conviction and...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Re-enactment...
- Letter: Policy disagreement
- Mary Barker: The Romney I may have voted for
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah... 109
- Mary Barker: The Romney I may have... 72
- Stuart Reid: Translations of religious... 61
- Dan Liljenquist: Religious liberty and... 52
- In our opinion: The long-term outlook... 46
- My view: Balancing personal conviction... 45
- Letter: Policy disagreement 45
- In our opinion: Use market forces and... 33