BYU basketball: Cougars face Findlay in final preseason game
PROVO — The BYU men's basketball team will take on Findlay at 7 p.m. Saturday at the Marriott Center in its final preseason game.
The Cougars opened up the preseason with a 103-57 victory over Southeastern Oklahoma State last Friday. That game was the first opportunity for the team's newcomers to play against another team, and they largely responded well with JC transfer Raul Delgado providing nine points with true freshman Cory Calvert chipping in another eight points. The team was led by Brandon Davies, and his 25 points in only 18 minutes of play with wing players Brock Zylstra and Tyler Haws adding 17 and 15 points, respectively.
Findlay is a Division II team out of Ohio that is coming off of a 77-58 loss to Dayton last week. Its two starting forwards, Jake Heagen and Greg Kahlig, led the scoring for the Oilers in the loss with 14 and 13 points, respectively. Findlay finished with a 24-7 record last season and advanced to the second round of the Division II NCAA tournament.
BYU coach Dave Rose will use the final preseason game to further identify which players will start this season, along with identifying roles for each player on the roster. Rose went with a starting lineup of Davies, Tyler Haws, Josh Sharp, Craig Cusick and Matt Carlino against Southeastern Oklahoma State.
The team opens the regular season in the Coaches vs. Cancer tournament and will first play Tennessee State in the Marriott Center on Nov. 9.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very little
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 60
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 45