BYU basketball: Cougars face Findlay in final preseason game
PROVO — The BYU men's basketball team will take on Findlay at 7 p.m. Saturday at the Marriott Center in its final preseason game.
The Cougars opened up the preseason with a 103-57 victory over Southeastern Oklahoma State last Friday. That game was the first opportunity for the team's newcomers to play against another team, and they largely responded well with JC transfer Raul Delgado providing nine points with true freshman Cory Calvert chipping in another eight points. The team was led by Brandon Davies, and his 25 points in only 18 minutes of play with wing players Brock Zylstra and Tyler Haws adding 17 and 15 points, respectively.
Findlay is a Division II team out of Ohio that is coming off of a 77-58 loss to Dayton last week. Its two starting forwards, Jake Heagen and Greg Kahlig, led the scoring for the Oilers in the loss with 14 and 13 points, respectively. Findlay finished with a 24-7 record last season and advanced to the second round of the Division II NCAA tournament.
BYU coach Dave Rose will use the final preseason game to further identify which players will start this season, along with identifying roles for each player on the roster. Rose went with a starting lineup of Davies, Tyler Haws, Josh Sharp, Craig Cusick and Matt Carlino against Southeastern Oklahoma State.
The team opens the regular season in the Coaches vs. Cancer tournament and will first play Tennessee State in the Marriott Center on Nov. 9.
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Brad Rock: Utah's Travis Wilson needs another...
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 86
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 35
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33