Yucatan — one of Mexico's safest spots — is full of Maya lore and wonder
Merida's traffic drove me nuts and gave me plenty of time to scrawl "miserable city driving torture" in my notebook while creeping along at 2 mph. For the carless, the city's 16th century cathedral, its plaza loud with bird song, and the poc-chuc (grilled pork with citrus juice) at La Chaya Maya on Calle 62 are good fun. But if I had this trip to do again, I'd give Merida just one night.
I'd sleep instead in the countryside, perhaps at the Pickled Onion, a restaurant and B&B in Santa Elena (near Uxmal) that's run by an English expat named Valerie Pickles, or perhaps at one of the big hotels at Uxmal so I could walk to the ruins.
I'd also spend a few more nights in Valladolid, which has twice the charm and about 8 percent of the population of Merida. The Hotel El Meson del Marques on the plaza charges about $60 a night, and I had the most elegant meal of my visit at Taberna de los Frailes, a short walk away. While I ate, songs of worship seeped into the night from the neighboring Ex-Convento de San Bernardino de Siena.
For the record, I predict an uneventful Dec. 21. But if you get to Yucatan and you're lucky, the Maya past, present and future may flash before your eyes.
Mexico tourism: www.visitmexico.com.
Yucatán tourism: www.yucatan.travel/en.
Mérida tourism: www.merida.gob.mx/turismo/index_in.htm
- Bubba Watson, two-time Masters Golf...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir to carry on tradition...
- 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' cast...
- Salt Lake's record-setting convention kicks...
- Do moms need a purpose beyond motherhood?
- Theater preview: Pioneer Theatre raises...
- Why 'normcore' is making it cool to be normal
- John Lennon audio interviews surface on 'I'm...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Tipping points:... 36
- Appeals judges question right to sue in... 25
- Doug Robinson: The first kiss and the... 24
- Elizabeth Smart talks forgiveness and... 24
- Wright Words: Despite horrific fire,... 12
- Get married, stay married? No fault... 11
- 'Heaven is for Real' delivers a... 9
- How early is too early for education? 6