Something disturbing has surfaced in the Davis County School Board races in Precincts 1, 2, and 4.
Members of the Davis County Republican Party leadership and one member of the Utah State Republican Party Central Committee are attempting to partisanize these non-partisan elections.
The framers of our state constitution had a good reason for school board positions to be non-partisan; political ideologies are not always pertinent to serving our school children. Why ignore principles of our state constitution to get certain candidates elected?
The following tactics have been employed: 1. Sponsoring meet-the-candidates events to showcase favored candidates.
2. Sending a survey based on the County Republican Platform to the candidates to check compliance. Candidates were not technically endorsed, but still an endorsement is implied. Note that two of the candidates refused to participate and one submitted a disclaimer to reaffirm non-partisanship. Election officials were alerted to this issue.
3. A Davis County Republican legislative chair used party communication structure to endorse one of the candidates to their precinct chairmen.
Shame on the Davis County Republican Party leadership. Why tread on the Utah state constitution in such a blatant way? Thomas Wright, where are you when we need you?
To Davis County voters in these school board precincts: Is the school board about ideologies or is it about your kids?
- In our opinion: The Affordable Care Act needs...
- Doug Robinson: Violence against women is...
- Can a news channel 'solve problems'?
- Join the discussion: Is feminism misunderstood?
- My view: Balancing personal conviction and...
- My view: Powdr Corp and Park City Mountain...
- The relationship between religiosity and...
- Improving voter turnout still a tough nut to...
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah... 114
- In our opinion: The Affordable Care Act... 74
- My view: Balancing personal conviction... 53
- In our opinion: The long-term outlook... 51
- Letter: Policy disagreement 45
- Can a news channel 'solve problems'? 39
- My view: A global warming solution to... 36
- In our opinion: Use market forces and... 35