Letter: Planned Parenthood helps with contraceptives, health information, counseling
Living in Utah, many people are quick to jump on Planned Parenthood and attack it based off of their beliefs about abortion. In reality, abortions are a small 3 percent of what Planned Parenthood does.
Planned Parenthood is a great nonprofit organization that provides women and men with affordable contraceptives, health information and counseling. Without this organization, many would not have the funds to pay for birth control, which would then lead to more unwanted pregnancies, abortions and children being born into poverty.
As of right now, the state of Utah does not fund Planned Parenthood in any way. Their funds come from: 49 percent donations, 30 percent federal funding and 15 percent contributions. Many want to do away with all government funding, saying that it is not the taxpayer's responsibility to pay for others' contraceptives. However, investing more money into Planned Parenthood may in fact lower tax dollars; it is cheaper to prevent a pregnancy then it is to financially support a child born into poverty.
As a society, we should be more focused on preventative measures and planned pregnancies so our citizens can be born into healthy and productive situations. Planned Parenthood is a great organization that is helping women to be responsible for themselves and for their actions.
- There are no Frodos without Sams: The reality...
- Gov. Herbert: Executing fundamentals for a...
- My view: Eliminating the root cause of bullying
- Doug Robinson: The first kiss and the long...
- Jay Evensen: Infatuated with his good looks,...
- In our opinion: In an entrepreneurial...
- Brad Stine: Words created everything, so we...
- George F. Will: Understanding our divisions:...
- Letter: Socialism, like salt 49
- Letter: Disagreement vs. hate 42
- Robert Bennett: Making our own spending... 40
- George F. Will: Understanding our... 40
- There are no Frodos without Sams: The... 39
- In our opinion: An immigration opportunity 35
- My view: Immigration reform just makes... 33
- Robert J. Samuelson: Long-term... 26