Letter: Planned Parenthood helps with contraceptives, health information, counseling
Living in Utah, many people are quick to jump on Planned Parenthood and attack it based off of their beliefs about abortion. In reality, abortions are a small 3 percent of what Planned Parenthood does.
Planned Parenthood is a great nonprofit organization that provides women and men with affordable contraceptives, health information and counseling. Without this organization, many would not have the funds to pay for birth control, which would then lead to more unwanted pregnancies, abortions and children being born into poverty.
As of right now, the state of Utah does not fund Planned Parenthood in any way. Their funds come from: 49 percent donations, 30 percent federal funding and 15 percent contributions. Many want to do away with all government funding, saying that it is not the taxpayer's responsibility to pay for others' contraceptives. However, investing more money into Planned Parenthood may in fact lower tax dollars; it is cheaper to prevent a pregnancy then it is to financially support a child born into poverty.
As a society, we should be more focused on preventative measures and planned pregnancies so our citizens can be born into healthy and productive situations. Planned Parenthood is a great organization that is helping women to be responsible for themselves and for their actions.
- Top scandals and controversies of each United...
- Top scandals and controversies of each US...
- Robert Bennett: With public trust waning,...
- Letters: No welfare, ever
- In our opinion: Big screen exploitation of...
- Tolerance and the same-sex marriage debate
- In our opinion: Scouting success will come...
- My view: Why moderates lost the caucus vote
- Letters: No welfare, ever 55
- Letters: Deception and government 31
- Letter: The real death panel:... 30
- In our opinion: Reduce the legal... 26
- In our opinion: Big screen exploitation... 25
- Letters: Paycheck Fairness Act 21
- Tolerance and the same-sex marriage debate 21
- Matthew Sanders: Imploding trust in... 20