Letter: Planned Parenthood helps with contraceptives, health information, counseling
Living in Utah, many people are quick to jump on Planned Parenthood and attack it based off of their beliefs about abortion. In reality, abortions are a small 3 percent of what Planned Parenthood does.
Planned Parenthood is a great nonprofit organization that provides women and men with affordable contraceptives, health information and counseling. Without this organization, many would not have the funds to pay for birth control, which would then lead to more unwanted pregnancies, abortions and children being born into poverty.
As of right now, the state of Utah does not fund Planned Parenthood in any way. Their funds come from: 49 percent donations, 30 percent federal funding and 15 percent contributions. Many want to do away with all government funding, saying that it is not the taxpayer's responsibility to pay for others' contraceptives. However, investing more money into Planned Parenthood may in fact lower tax dollars; it is cheaper to prevent a pregnancy then it is to financially support a child born into poverty.
As a society, we should be more focused on preventative measures and planned pregnancies so our citizens can be born into healthy and productive situations. Planned Parenthood is a great organization that is helping women to be responsible for themselves and for their actions.
- In our opinion: Boy Scouts of America and...
- Was Hillary right to compare Putin to Hitler?
- Sen. Ted Cruz opens 2014 CPAC with...
- My view: History lesson — 'Taking back'...
- Endangered Species Act lost sight of its mission
- Who are the real heroes of election reform?
- Letter: Religious freedom
- Robert J. Samuelson: Income tax has become a...
- Letter: Minimum Wage insufficient 66
- Has Obama's foreign policy emboldened... 62
- Jay Evensen: Obama could use a dose of... 60
- Letter: Religious freedom 52
- Obama's biggest test: Ukraine 33
- Sen. Ted Cruz opens 2014 CPAC with... 27
- In our opinion: Boy Scouts of America... 27
- Was Hillary right to compare Putin to... 26