Letter: Planned Parenthood helps with contraceptives, health information, counseling
Living in Utah, many people are quick to jump on Planned Parenthood and attack it based off of their beliefs about abortion. In reality, abortions are a small 3 percent of what Planned Parenthood does.
Planned Parenthood is a great nonprofit organization that provides women and men with affordable contraceptives, health information and counseling. Without this organization, many would not have the funds to pay for birth control, which would then lead to more unwanted pregnancies, abortions and children being born into poverty.
As of right now, the state of Utah does not fund Planned Parenthood in any way. Their funds come from: 49 percent donations, 30 percent federal funding and 15 percent contributions. Many want to do away with all government funding, saying that it is not the taxpayer's responsibility to pay for others' contraceptives. However, investing more money into Planned Parenthood may in fact lower tax dollars; it is cheaper to prevent a pregnancy then it is to financially support a child born into poverty.
As a society, we should be more focused on preventative measures and planned pregnancies so our citizens can be born into healthy and productive situations. Planned Parenthood is a great organization that is helping women to be responsible for themselves and for their actions.
- 10 things you never knew about the FBI
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah...
- In our opinion: The long-term outlook for...
- My view: Balancing personal conviction and...
- Robert Bennett: Hamas and its financial...
- In our opinion: With Shurtleff and Swallow...
- Letter: Policy disagreement
- Mary Barker: The Romney I may have voted for
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah... 112
- Mary Barker: The Romney I may have... 73
- Stuart Reid: Translations of religious... 61
- My view: Balancing personal conviction... 48
- In our opinion: The long-term outlook... 47
- Letter: Policy disagreement 45
- In our opinion: Use market forces and... 34
- The complicated political views of... 32