QUEENS CREEK, Ariz. —' Despite attending the same high school in Queens Creek, Ariz., Carson Jones and Chy Johnson seemed to be worlds apart.
Jones was a senior, the star quarterback of his high school's football team and a 4.0 student. In short, Jones and his friends were at the top of the high school hierarchy.
Johnson, on the other hand, suffers from a brain disorder and was often bullied by girls at her school. She told azfamily.com, "The girl threw trash at me."
Johnson's mother had had enough and called Jones, a family friend, to learn the names of students bullying her daughter.
But Jones and his friends took it one step further. Jones began eating lunch with Johnson everyday. Other football players would follow her throughout the day to make sure no one bullied her.
"They're not bullying her anymore because they've seen her with us or something," Jones said.
Johnson has taken to calling the players "my boys."
"They're not mean to me because all my boys love me so much," Johnson said.
Tucker Workman, one of the other football players, told AZ Family that Johnson hasn't been the only one to benefit from the new friendship.
"It feels good to know that we helped someone else because, you know, we're doing good, everything for us is going well, but someone else needs to feel good, too," Workman said.
Email: email@example.com Twitter: @harmerk
- 'Unbroken' faith: The religious journey of...
- 29 of the best Christmas movie quotes
- Bittersweet Christmas: A woman ponders the...
- 'American Idol' alum Brooke White creates...
- The 37 most charitable celebrities
- 4 interactive ways to teach your kids about...
- New 'Annie' feels more functional than...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: New Christmas...
- Chris Hicks: Has Hollywood found new... 16
- Black Captain America leading comic... 6
- What did Utahns search for in 2014?... 6
- 'Unbroken' faith: The religious journey... 6
- 'Five Armies' brings the Hobbit trilogy... 4
- School lunch 'blech' factor may go down... 3
- Why you should think twice before... 3
- Want a smart kid? Stay away from these... 2