Ravell Call, Ravell Call, Deseret News
As election day nears, it has become evident that a vote for Jim Matheson is a wasted vote. Congressman Matheson has been in office for six terms. During many of those re-election runs, he has identified himself as a Blue Dog Democrat, implying that he is more in line with Utah values than the National Democratic Party.
But during those years, the Democratic Party has contiunued to move to the left to the point that many of their leaders now more readily identify with the socialist governments of Europe than with the mainstream of the United States. Meanwhile, the Blue Dog faction of the Democratic Party has continued to shrink in Congress. As a result, it becomes increasingly likely Matheson will have any influence on his party in Washington.
Even worse, it becomes more likely that to gain some hearing with his party he will have to sacrifice Utah values as a compromise.
- In our opinion: FDA must consider regulating...
- Letter: Amnesty for who?
- In our opinion: In an entrepreneurial...
- Letter: Homework load is fine
- Letter: The ACA's 'Cadillac plans'
- There are no Frodos without Sams: The reality...
- Doug Robinson: The first kiss and the long...
- John Florez: Our economy is a matter of health
- Letter: Socialism, like salt 49
- There are no Frodos without Sams: The... 46
- Letter: Disagreement vs. hate 42
- George F. Will: Understanding our... 41
- In our opinion: An immigration opportunity 35
- My view: Immigration reform just makes... 33
- Letter: Amnesty for who? 29
- My view: Eliminating the root cause of... 28