Ravell Call, Ravell Call, Deseret News
As election day nears, it has become evident that a vote for Jim Matheson is a wasted vote. Congressman Matheson has been in office for six terms. During many of those re-election runs, he has identified himself as a Blue Dog Democrat, implying that he is more in line with Utah values than the National Democratic Party.
But during those years, the Democratic Party has contiunued to move to the left to the point that many of their leaders now more readily identify with the socialist governments of Europe than with the mainstream of the United States. Meanwhile, the Blue Dog faction of the Democratic Party has continued to shrink in Congress. As a result, it becomes increasingly likely Matheson will have any influence on his party in Washington.
Even worse, it becomes more likely that to gain some hearing with his party he will have to sacrifice Utah values as a compromise.
- 5 reasons Mitt Romney will probably run for...
- Janna Darnelle: Redefining marriage hurts...
- In our opinion: Here's how the Obama...
- John Hoffmire: Save capitalism by focusing on...
- Catherine Rampell: Reasons behind the bad...
- My view: Don't make women optional in marriage
- Letter: Dance dress code
- Robert Bennett: Make climate conversations...
- My view: Don't make women optional in... 103
- Janna Darnelle: Redefining marriage... 87
- 5 reasons Mitt Romney will probably run... 65
- In our opinion: Religion in public life... 53
- Letter: Lateralist logic 40
- John Hoffmire: Save capitalism by... 40
- In our opinion: Here's how the Obama... 37
- Join the discussion: How libertarian is... 36