Ravell Call, Ravell Call, Deseret News
As election day nears, it has become evident that a vote for Jim Matheson is a wasted vote. Congressman Matheson has been in office for six terms. During many of those re-election runs, he has identified himself as a Blue Dog Democrat, implying that he is more in line with Utah values than the National Democratic Party.
But during those years, the Democratic Party has contiunued to move to the left to the point that many of their leaders now more readily identify with the socialist governments of Europe than with the mainstream of the United States. Meanwhile, the Blue Dog faction of the Democratic Party has continued to shrink in Congress. As a result, it becomes increasingly likely Matheson will have any influence on his party in Washington.
Even worse, it becomes more likely that to gain some hearing with his party he will have to sacrifice Utah values as a compromise.
- In our opinion: Disgusting algae bloom...
- Michael Gerson: The triumph of cynicism
- My view: Algae blooms in Utah Lake
- My view: Prison reform proponents have it...
- Arthur Cyr: Coup attempt underscores...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Shurtleff,...
- Letter: Carbon fee legislation
- Letter: Drones or privacy
- In our opinion: The GOP convention... 32
- Letter: Carbon fee legislation 29
- My view: Supporting Utah's public... 27
- Michael Gerson: The triumph of cynicism 23
- My view: More whites should practice... 21
- My view: Algae blooms in Utah Lake 16
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day 15
- Letter: Vote Gary Johnson 14