Ravell Call, Ravell Call, Deseret News
As election day nears, it has become evident that a vote for Jim Matheson is a wasted vote. Congressman Matheson has been in office for six terms. During many of those re-election runs, he has identified himself as a Blue Dog Democrat, implying that he is more in line with Utah values than the National Democratic Party.
But during those years, the Democratic Party has contiunued to move to the left to the point that many of their leaders now more readily identify with the socialist governments of Europe than with the mainstream of the United States. Meanwhile, the Blue Dog faction of the Democratic Party has continued to shrink in Congress. As a result, it becomes increasingly likely Matheson will have any influence on his party in Washington.
Even worse, it becomes more likely that to gain some hearing with his party he will have to sacrifice Utah values as a compromise.
- Letter: Climate change is unjustified rhetoric
- Letter: We can do better
- In our opinion: Marriage definition on...
- John Florez: Teach our children the love of...
- In our opinion: Navajo Nation looks to combat...
- David Butterfield: Utah boxing legends...
- Jay Evensen: U.S. silence troubling amid...
- In our opinion: Recent drowning of 800...
- Richard Davis: A historic moment for... 60
- Jay Evensen: U.S. silence troubling... 59
- Letter: Climate change is unjustified... 31
- A. Scott Anderson: Overregulation hurts... 25
- Letter: We can do better 25
- Letter: Pledge for respect 24
- In our opinion: Recent drowning of 800... 21
- Letter: Make healthy choices 13