Ravell Call, Ravell Call, Deseret News
As election day nears, it has become evident that a vote for Jim Matheson is a wasted vote. Congressman Matheson has been in office for six terms. During many of those re-election runs, he has identified himself as a Blue Dog Democrat, implying that he is more in line with Utah values than the National Democratic Party.
But during those years, the Democratic Party has contiunued to move to the left to the point that many of their leaders now more readily identify with the socialist governments of Europe than with the mainstream of the United States. Meanwhile, the Blue Dog faction of the Democratic Party has continued to shrink in Congress. As a result, it becomes increasingly likely Matheson will have any influence on his party in Washington.
Even worse, it becomes more likely that to gain some hearing with his party he will have to sacrifice Utah values as a compromise.
- In our opinion: Scouting success will come...
- My view: Why moderates lost the caucus vote
- Lois M. Collins: Kids' summer 'bucket list'...
- Letters: No welfare, ever
- My view: UDOT listened, made a good choice
- In our opinion: Big screen exploitation of...
- Search for extraterrestrial life goes on,...
- Comprehensive immigration reform or bust
- Letters: No welfare, ever 69
- My view: Why moderates lost the caucus... 31
- Letter: The real death panel:... 30
- Tolerance and the same-sex marriage debate 29
- In our opinion: Big screen exploitation... 25
- Robert J. Samuelson: Can Americans stem... 19
- In our opinion: Scouting success will... 18
- Charles Krauthammer: Americans deserve... 17