Julio Cortez, Associated Press
Our take: In the wake of superstorm Sandy, several Christian disaster relief organizations have stated they are ready to help those who are affected, providing comfort, shelter and other supplies.
Several Christian disaster relief organizations, including those focused on providing emotional support to victims, announced yesterday that they are ready to head into the heavily damaged areas of northeastern United States in the wake of Hurricane Sandy. As the storm made landfall a little after 8 p.m. EDT, it was declared a post-tropical cyclone with damaging winds reaching lower hurricane strength.
"Three mobile office units will leave Charlotte tomorrow morning headed into the devastation left by Hurricane Sandy," stated the Billy Graham Rapid Response team Monday afternoon. "We will have teams on the ground within 24 hours of the hurricane's passing. Please pray for safety in travel for the chaplain coordinators who will be driving the mobile units, and the volunteer chaplains coming from around the country."
The purpose of the response team, a part of the renowned evangelist's organization, is to "deploy chaplains who will bring a ministry of presence and prayer and appropriately share God's love, comfort, and hope with those affected by a man-made or natural disaster."
Read more about Superstorm Sandy: Christian Relief Organizations Ready for Massi on The Christian Post.
- Christmas lights on Temple Square in pictures...
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional tradition
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach the...
- LDS missionaries developing strategies to...
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered for...
- LDS growth in India draws media attention
- What's new: 'Women and the Priesthood' by...
- Tips for LDS bloggers from the 'ultimate...
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered... 63
- Cardinal Dolan says Catholic church... 38
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's... 31
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged... 28
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 25
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional... 21
- Ask Angela: Woman shares update on... 20
- Defending the Faith: 'Pleased as man... 18