The core of Sandy made its way north through western Pennsylvania into western New York, causing wind and flooding that closed roads. Deaths: 11. Power outages: 612,000, down from 1.2 million.
Residents may not be able to return to their homes for another day in some coastal communities amid power outages and impassable roads. Some schools reopened while others remained close. Power outages: About 48,000, down from more than 122,000.
A route across the Smoky Mountains closed as heavy, wet snow accumulated to as much as 2 feet.
Winds knocked down trees and power lines, and schools were closed, but damage was not as severe as feared in a state still recovering from Tropical Storm Irene. Power outages: 3,550, down from more than 10,000.
Navy sending three Virginia-based ships toward the Northeast in case they're needed to help with storm response. Utilities brought in crews to help restore power after high winds and snow. Deaths: 2. Power outages: About 29,000, down from more than 180,000.
Federal and local governments asked people to return to work Wednesday, and transit systems resumed full service. The National Mall reopened. Power outages: 70, down from 25,000.
Some areas were buried under more than a foot of snow. Eight buildings in Nicholas County — an apartment complex, a grocery store, two convenience stores, a hardwood plant and three homes — collapsed under the weight of heavy snow, but no injuries were reported. Deaths: 6. Power outages: 224,000, down from about 271,000.
- Poll: Two-thirds of US would struggle to...
- US home sales growth driven mostly by Midwest
- 2 Indian climbers missing on Mount Everest...
- Clinton calls Trump's gun policies...
- Massive Navajo farm heads into week 2 with no...
- Protests in Brazil's 2 biggest cities against...
- US General in Afghanistan: Mansour was an...
- Tight Austrian presidential election reveals...
- Anti-Trump protests turn violent... 45
- Clinton calls Trump's gun policies... 38
- Clinton faulted on emails by State... 37
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 32
- Delegates in hand, Trump says he's got... 30
- Obama: World leaders rightfully... 28
- Donald Trump moves to win over wavering... 17
- 'A world without nuclear... 16