The core of Sandy made its way north through western Pennsylvania into western New York, causing wind and flooding that closed roads. Deaths: 11. Power outages: 612,000, down from 1.2 million.
Residents may not be able to return to their homes for another day in some coastal communities amid power outages and impassable roads. Some schools reopened while others remained close. Power outages: About 48,000, down from more than 122,000.
A route across the Smoky Mountains closed as heavy, wet snow accumulated to as much as 2 feet.
Winds knocked down trees and power lines, and schools were closed, but damage was not as severe as feared in a state still recovering from Tropical Storm Irene. Power outages: 3,550, down from more than 10,000.
Navy sending three Virginia-based ships toward the Northeast in case they're needed to help with storm response. Utilities brought in crews to help restore power after high winds and snow. Deaths: 2. Power outages: About 29,000, down from more than 180,000.
Federal and local governments asked people to return to work Wednesday, and transit systems resumed full service. The National Mall reopened. Power outages: 70, down from 25,000.
Some areas were buried under more than a foot of snow. Eight buildings in Nicholas County — an apartment complex, a grocery store, two convenience stores, a hardwood plant and three homes — collapsed under the weight of heavy snow, but no injuries were reported. Deaths: 6. Power outages: 224,000, down from about 271,000.
- A decade after welcoming wind, states reconsider
- Chaffetz calls Secret Service resignation...
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking...
- Charging documents show Phelps DUI tied to...
- US Ebola case stokes concerns for Liberians...
- Jail ordered for Idaho man in FLDS abuse case
- More bodies found on Japanese volcano; toll...
- Saudi overhaul reshapes Islam's holiest city...
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 40
- Obama: US 'underestimated' Islamic... 24
- New mom Chelsea Clinton celebrates baby... 14
- Obama seeks traction on economy amid... 14
- Police: Fired worker beheaded Oklahoma... 13
- Marijuana could deliver more than $800... 13
- Chaffetz calls Secret Service... 11
- Obama goal of Gitmo closure stalled at... 10