The core of Sandy made its way north through western Pennsylvania into western New York, causing wind and flooding that closed roads. Deaths: 11. Power outages: 612,000, down from 1.2 million.
Residents may not be able to return to their homes for another day in some coastal communities amid power outages and impassable roads. Some schools reopened while others remained close. Power outages: About 48,000, down from more than 122,000.
A route across the Smoky Mountains closed as heavy, wet snow accumulated to as much as 2 feet.
Winds knocked down trees and power lines, and schools were closed, but damage was not as severe as feared in a state still recovering from Tropical Storm Irene. Power outages: 3,550, down from more than 10,000.
Navy sending three Virginia-based ships toward the Northeast in case they're needed to help with storm response. Utilities brought in crews to help restore power after high winds and snow. Deaths: 2. Power outages: About 29,000, down from more than 180,000.
Federal and local governments asked people to return to work Wednesday, and transit systems resumed full service. The National Mall reopened. Power outages: 70, down from 25,000.
Some areas were buried under more than a foot of snow. Eight buildings in Nicholas County — an apartment complex, a grocery store, two convenience stores, a hardwood plant and three homes — collapsed under the weight of heavy snow, but no injuries were reported. Deaths: 6. Power outages: 224,000, down from about 271,000.
- High court overturns former VA governor's...
- Stocks, pound fall again due to UK vote...
- Big ruling for abortion rights in Supreme...
- Iraqis suffer in desert camps after flight...
- Michelle Obama, daughters, mother land in...
- 2 killed, more than 80 injured in Madagascar...
- Trump emails: Can you spare $10 to help elect...
- Egypt lawyers claim government meddling in...
- House Republicans' report faults Obama... 54
- Mitt Romney says family still wants him... 43
- Did Trump really just become a... 38
- Big ruling for abortion rights in... 36
- Hal Boyd: Hal Boyd: Why Mitt Romney's... 35
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 32
- Final Benghazi report: No 'smoking gun'... 31
- Trump gets rock-bottom ratings in... 27