Letter: The government shouldn't cut programs, they should cut administrative salaries instead
Cutting programs saves us the money the government foolishly gives away, but a large part of the expense saved is in administrative salaries. Much as we hate the idea of people working for the government and wasting our taxes, those salaries represent people whose wages support the economy just as do the wages of those employed in the "legitimate" private sector. They buy food, clothing and other necessities or luxuries, and pay rent or mortgages, utilities, tuition and even taxes.
Is the private sector ready to absorb all these people, or will these contributing workers be forced into becoming takers?
And the resulting unemployment? You ain't seen nothing yet.
Salt Lake City
- Jay Evensen: Ask people in the Third World if...
- In our opinion: Alleged medicinal benefits of...
- My view: Medical marijuana: Google vs. PubMed
- My view: Does going to pot send the wrong...
- My view: Scouting: Friend or foe?
- Rely on invisible hand?
- George F. Will: Break the dentists' hold on...
- Jay Evensen: Legislature's pornography...
- In our opinion: National security and... 79
- Robert J. Samuelson: The false charms... 58
- Is it time for our first woman president? 55
- My view: Scouting: Friend or foe? 39
- Barack Obama: Religious freedom keeps... 33
- Jay Evensen: Legislature's pornography... 32
- In our opinion: Alleged medicinal... 31
- Letter: Coal and job creation 24