As Sandy death toll and damage reports rise, need still great to help storm victims
Matt Slocum, Associated Press
The most devastating storm in decades to hit the country's most densely populated region cut off modern communication and left millions without power as thousands fled their water-menaced homes. By Tuesday evening, the death toll from superstorm Sandy reached nearly 50 souls.
Latest storm information
The New York Times: Hurricane Sandy: Live updates
U.S. News on NBCNews.com: Live updates on Hurricane Sandy
Resources, information and how you can help
The Disaster Distress Helpline (a program of @samhsagov) is ready and available with 24/7 crisis counseling and support, 1-800-985-5990.
Get food and water for at least 5 days for each pet. When preparing to hunker down, don't forget pets. #sandypets
Also, Twitter accounts along the East Coast are providing specific #Sandy safety tips @femaregion1 @femaregion2 @FEMAregion3.
» Main: www.redcross.org
» Donate: www.redcross.org/charitable-donations
» Utah Chapter: www.utahredcross.org
Social media links for the organization:
To help, make a donation by visiting www.redcross.org, calling 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767) or visiting the social media links above. You can text the word REDCROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation. Contributions may also be sent to the local Red Cross chapter or the American Red Cross, P.O. Box 37243, Washington, D.C. 20013.
- A decade after welcoming wind, states reconsider
- Chaffetz calls Secret Service resignation...
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking...
- Charging documents show Phelps DUI tied to...
- US Ebola case stokes concerns for Liberians...
- Jail ordered for Idaho man in FLDS abuse case
- More bodies found on Japanese volcano; toll...
- NFL says Husain Abdullah should not have been...
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 40
- Obama: US 'underestimated' Islamic... 24
- New mom Chelsea Clinton celebrates baby... 14
- Obama seeks traction on economy amid... 14
- Police: Fired worker beheaded Oklahoma... 13
- Marijuana could deliver more than $800... 13
- Chaffetz calls Secret Service... 11
- Obama goal of Gitmo closure stalled at... 10