As Sandy death toll and damage reports rise, need still great to help storm victims
Matt Slocum, Associated Press
The most devastating storm in decades to hit the country's most densely populated region cut off modern communication and left millions without power as thousands fled their water-menaced homes. By Tuesday evening, the death toll from superstorm Sandy reached nearly 50 souls.
Latest storm information
The New York Times: Hurricane Sandy: Live updates
U.S. News on NBCNews.com: Live updates on Hurricane Sandy
Resources, information and how you can help
The Disaster Distress Helpline (a program of @samhsagov) is ready and available with 24/7 crisis counseling and support, 1-800-985-5990.
Get food and water for at least 5 days for each pet. When preparing to hunker down, don't forget pets. #sandypets
Also, Twitter accounts along the East Coast are providing specific #Sandy safety tips @femaregion1 @femaregion2 @FEMAregion3.
» Main: www.redcross.org
» Donate: www.redcross.org/charitable-donations
» Utah Chapter: www.utahredcross.org
Social media links for the organization:
To help, make a donation by visiting www.redcross.org, calling 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767) or visiting the social media links above. You can text the word REDCROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation. Contributions may also be sent to the local Red Cross chapter or the American Red Cross, P.O. Box 37243, Washington, D.C. 20013.
- A kiss, a prayer: The last hours of MH17's...
- Appreciating sacrifice: Deployed soldiers...
- Britain's little prince celebrates first...
- Official: Air Algerie flight carrying 116...
- Hamas calls for end to blockade of Gaza border
- Dutch say plane's black box damaged but not...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising concerns...
- Iraqis: Jihadis blow up Muslim shrine said to...
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby... 50
- Appeals courts issue contradictory... 48
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 45
- Gov. Rick Perry sending National Guard... 23
- Hamas calls for end to blockade of Gaza... 19
- Despite crush of children, illegal... 16
- Obama fundraises for Dems; demands GOP... 15
- Obama voices concern about casualties... 14