Charles Sykes, Associated Press
As Hurricane Sandy moves across the East Coast Monday and Tuesday, nine states have declared a state of emergency and as many as 60 million people could be affected, according to the Chicago Tribune.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has released the following statement about the storm.
"The church continues to monitor the situation and is prepared to respond as needed. Prior to the storm, local leaders were in contact with church members to encourage necessary preparations. Mission presidents are taking precautions to protect the safety and well-being of missionaries," said Scott Trotter, a spokesman for the LDS Church.
Mormons in the affected areas have shared comments on Facebook about their preparations.
"We are in an area that is not an evacuation zone so we don't have to leave, but we have food, water in bottles and the bathtub filled, flashlights and candles ready to go. We actually got prepared during Hurricane Irene last year, so we were set to go. It shouldn't be too bad here, just waiting for it to end and for the city to get up and running again," said Jolinda Hall, who lives in Brooklyn, New York.
LDS Church members who live outside the affected areas are also expressing their concern and support on Facebook.
"I'm praying for the safety for all those in that area where the hurricane is. May God blessed all them all," said Rose Serna Cariaga, who lives in Kuwait City, Kuwait.
Additional updates will be posted as information becomes available.
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Leading Jordanian Muslim and Christian...
- LDS YouTube family, the Shaytards, featured...
- A year later: Humanitarian Bishnu Adhikari...
- Police arrest man who posed as Mormon...
- Pres. Nelson honored by the University of Utah
- Defending the Faith: Perhaps the world's most...
- Chris Williams shares about the power of...
- Workers removing Ten Commandments from... 54
- Lois M. Collins: The 'death' of faith... 44
- Sunday School leader apologizes for... 40
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 32
- The spiritual revolution taking place... 21
- Defending the Faith: Perhaps the... 18
- LDS Church leaders continue to... 17
- Leaders close conference by urging... 13