Our take: Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney has vowed to work with Democrats if he's elected, tweeting Friday, "I know it because I have seen it: Good Democrats can come together with good Republicans to solve big problems. What we need is leadership." However, if Romney's elected, working with Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid could be harder than Romney thinks, Seth McLaughlin of The Washington Times writes.
"In the waning days of the election, Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney is playing up his bipartisan prowess, wooing voters with the notion that he will be the post-partisan leader that President Obama promised but failed to be," McLaughlin wrote.
"But spinning that campaign rhetoric into a legislative reality will be easier said than done — namely, because anything that Mr. Romney wants to accomplish will have to go through Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, the biggest Democratic power broker on Capitol Hill, if Mr. Reid's party retains control of the Senate in next week's elections."
"The Nevada Democrat, a fellow Mormon and former pugilist, has spent months trying to knock out Mr. Romney's campaign. He has called the former Massachusetts governor a 'plastic man' and claimed, without evidence, that Mr. Romney went 10 years without paying income taxes despite having a net worth upwards of $250 million."
Perhaps more telling about what's to come from the potential legislative marriage if Romney wins, McLaughlin wrote, is that Reid once said the U.S. Senate would not confirm Romney as a "dogcatcher."
- Students clean up after mayhem near pumpkin fest
- The poorest of the poor in many Third World...
- Wanted: Cities interested in hosting 2024...
- Indiana man's confession leads to 7 bodies
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Africa and...
- This type of high school can increase your...
- Virus expert sees 'silver lining' in Ebola...
- Bishops scrap welcome to gays in sign of split
- Can public officials refuse to perform... 68
- Official: 2nd worker isolated within 90... 21
- New Ebola 'czar' knows Washington, but... 21
- Why I stand with the Houston Five 19
- Vatican alters draft report translation... 17
- On campaign trail, Obama says GOP is... 15
- Are teachers getting behind Common... 15
- Gay marriage becomes legal in Arizona,... 14