Our take: Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney has vowed to work with Democrats if he's elected, tweeting Friday, "I know it because I have seen it: Good Democrats can come together with good Republicans to solve big problems. What we need is leadership." However, if Romney's elected, working with Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid could be harder than Romney thinks, Seth McLaughlin of The Washington Times writes.
"In the waning days of the election, Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney is playing up his bipartisan prowess, wooing voters with the notion that he will be the post-partisan leader that President Obama promised but failed to be," McLaughlin wrote.
"But spinning that campaign rhetoric into a legislative reality will be easier said than done — namely, because anything that Mr. Romney wants to accomplish will have to go through Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, the biggest Democratic power broker on Capitol Hill, if Mr. Reid's party retains control of the Senate in next week's elections."
"The Nevada Democrat, a fellow Mormon and former pugilist, has spent months trying to knock out Mr. Romney's campaign. He has called the former Massachusetts governor a 'plastic man' and claimed, without evidence, that Mr. Romney went 10 years without paying income taxes despite having a net worth upwards of $250 million."
Perhaps more telling about what's to come from the potential legislative marriage if Romney wins, McLaughlin wrote, is that Reid once said the U.S. Senate would not confirm Romney as a "dogcatcher."
- Under pressure, Hagel steps down as Pentagon...
- Consumer group lists '10 worst toys' for kids
- Reports: Ferguson grand jury has reached...
- Obama: Americans want 'new car smell' in 2016
- Evacuation plans readied as Buffalo flooding...
- Buffalo residents ready melt, possible...
- 'Mockingjay, Part 1' opens with $123 million
- Why Salt Lake City is one of the best cities...
- President Obama's immigration reforms... 65
- Pastors opposed to same-sex marriage... 40
- Obama: Americans want 'new car smell'... 25
- Fact check: Obama's claims on illegal... 18
- Winners and losers under Obama's... 17
- President Obama's immigration speech... 14
- Boehner: 'We will not stand idle' on... 14
- Is saying the Pledge of Allegiance... 14