OCEAN CITY, Md. — Hurricane Sandy has done significant damage to a large ocean pier in the Maryland beach resort of Ocean City.
Police spokesman Mike Levy confirms the damage, which occurred overnight as the storm began to pound the resort town with waves, wind and rain.
Town officials plan to provide more details at a 10 a.m. Monday news conference.
The pier is at the southern end of the city's Boardwalk in an area that's been under a mandatory evacuation order since Sunday afternoon.
Tracy Marie Lind, a front desk worker at a Holiday Inn & Suites in Ocean City, said the pier was an icon and about as close to the ocean as one could get without getting in the water.
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh Hewitt...
- University of Phoenix founder dies, leaving...
- A New York Times article said Michael Brown...
- 10 things to know about corporate inversions
- It's about time the government recognize the...
- Is James Foley a martyr? A brutal death...
- UN: Ebola cases could eventually reach 20,000
- Why the poverty cycle is harder to break than...
- A New York Times article said Michael... 40
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 33
- For the first time in American history,... 30
- 10 things to know about corporate... 24
- Doug Robinson: When did Missouri turn... 24
- Obama back at White House after summer... 17
- Why the poverty cycle is harder to... 15
- Winning plaintiffs in 3 states want... 14