OCEAN CITY, Md. — Hurricane Sandy has done significant damage to a large ocean pier in the Maryland beach resort of Ocean City.
Police spokesman Mike Levy confirms the damage, which occurred overnight as the storm began to pound the resort town with waves, wind and rain.
Town officials plan to provide more details at a 10 a.m. Monday news conference.
The pier is at the southern end of the city's Boardwalk in an area that's been under a mandatory evacuation order since Sunday afternoon.
Tracy Marie Lind, a front desk worker at a Holiday Inn & Suites in Ocean City, said the pier was an icon and about as close to the ocean as one could get without getting in the water.
- Utah humanitarian aid worker returns from...
- Southern Baptists tell pastors: hold line on...
- Chocolate compound restores age-related...
- Cause sought for space-supply rocket explosion
- A place with a view: Inside NYC's tallest...
- Balancing act: Stress, burnout, mistakes top...
- Digital Savant: How to be a ghost (online)
- Pope Francis: ‘Evolution is not...
- Pope Francis: ‘Evolution ... 59
- Religious, political leaders in... 35
- Pastor who performed gay marriage keeps... 29
- Southern Baptists tell pastors: hold... 20
- Utah among lowest in nation in... 18
- George P. Bush says dad Jeb Bush is... 15
- Churches proceed carefully when... 15
- Poll: 2 of 3 Americans say Islamic... 10