OCEAN CITY, Md. — Hurricane Sandy has done significant damage to a large ocean pier in the Maryland beach resort of Ocean City.
Police spokesman Mike Levy confirms the damage, which occurred overnight as the storm began to pound the resort town with waves, wind and rain.
Town officials plan to provide more details at a 10 a.m. Monday news conference.
The pier is at the southern end of the city's Boardwalk in an area that's been under a mandatory evacuation order since Sunday afternoon.
Tracy Marie Lind, a front desk worker at a Holiday Inn & Suites in Ocean City, said the pier was an icon and about as close to the ocean as one could get without getting in the water.
- Rubber chickens, afros and clowns: A look at...
- Why Utahns are some of the biggest spenders,...
- Steven Powell ordered to serve more jail time...
- 35 arrested in Oakland after protest march
- Ferguson protesters across US peaceful,...
- These two things are helping California's...
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters in...
- In Britain, US turkey dinner is big for business
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters... 70
- Grand jury won't indict Ferguson cop in... 30
- Obama: Americans want 'new car smell'... 29
- Ferguson businesses torched in... 17
- Under pressure, Hagel steps down as... 15
- Obama immigration plan good, not great... 13
- Obama heads to Chicago to pitch... 13
- Why Utahns are some of the biggest... 12