OCEAN CITY, Md. — Hurricane Sandy has done significant damage to a large ocean pier in the Maryland beach resort of Ocean City.
Police spokesman Mike Levy confirms the damage, which occurred overnight as the storm began to pound the resort town with waves, wind and rain.
Town officials plan to provide more details at a 10 a.m. Monday news conference.
The pier is at the southern end of the city's Boardwalk in an area that's been under a mandatory evacuation order since Sunday afternoon.
Tracy Marie Lind, a front desk worker at a Holiday Inn & Suites in Ocean City, said the pier was an icon and about as close to the ocean as one could get without getting in the water.
- Switched at birth, man raised in poverty...
- 50 things you might not know about 15 of your...
- Court: Mormon church, members not liable in...
- Obama: Income inequality a defining challenge
- Research: Native American genes have Eurasian...
- Actor Paul Walker dies in car crash; was...
- Newtown releases 911 calls showing anguish...
- Detroit officially enters bankruptcy
- Obama: Income inequality a defining... 78
- Croatians vote against same-sex marriage 44
- Court: Mormon church, members not... 33
- Fast food outlets planning strike for... 25
- Obama declares health care law is... 20
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's... 20
- Detroit officially enters bankruptcy 18
- Research: Native American genes have... 18