OCEAN CITY, Md. — Hurricane Sandy has done significant damage to a large ocean pier in the Maryland beach resort of Ocean City.
Police spokesman Mike Levy confirms the damage, which occurred overnight as the storm began to pound the resort town with waves, wind and rain.
Town officials plan to provide more details at a 10 a.m. Monday news conference.
The pier is at the southern end of the city's Boardwalk in an area that's been under a mandatory evacuation order since Sunday afternoon.
Tracy Marie Lind, a front desk worker at a Holiday Inn & Suites in Ocean City, said the pier was an icon and about as close to the ocean as one could get without getting in the water.
- Two Christian ministers refuse to perform...
- Virus expert sees 'silver lining' in Ebola...
- Oscar Pistorius starts serving 5-year prison...
- Jodi Arias sentencing retrial opens in Arizona
- Lower gas prices could mean economic impact...
- The poorest of the poor in many Third World...
- Wyoming prepares to legalize same-sex marriage
- Today's must-read faith and family stories
- Two Christian ministers refuse to... 53
- New Ebola 'czar' knows Washington, but... 22
- Why I stand with the Houston Five 21
- On campaign trail, Obama says GOP is... 15
- Gay marriage becomes legal in Arizona,... 14
- Expelled Nazis got millions in Social... 10
- Bishops scrap welcome to gays in sign... 9
- At rallies, Obama casts 2014 as key for... 8