OCEAN CITY, Md. — Hurricane Sandy has done significant damage to a large ocean pier in the Maryland beach resort of Ocean City.
Police spokesman Mike Levy confirms the damage, which occurred overnight as the storm began to pound the resort town with waves, wind and rain.
Town officials plan to provide more details at a 10 a.m. Monday news conference.
The pier is at the southern end of the city's Boardwalk in an area that's been under a mandatory evacuation order since Sunday afternoon.
Tracy Marie Lind, a front desk worker at a Holiday Inn & Suites in Ocean City, said the pier was an icon and about as close to the ocean as one could get without getting in the water.
- Winners and losers under Obama's immigration...
- Consumer group lists '10 worst toys' for kids
- 'Mockingjay, Part 1' opens with $123 million
- Fact check: Obama's claims on illegal...
- Q&A with President Henry B. Eyring, Elder L....
- 37 homes collapse, dozens injured in...
- Obama immigration plan good, not great for...
- A GDP showdown: How do state GDP numbers line...
- President Obama's immigration reforms... 65
- Utah members of Congress slam Obama's... 55
- Pastors opposed to same-sex marriage... 37
- Obama to announce immigration action... 30
- Fact check: Obama's claims on illegal... 18
- President Obama's immigration speech... 14
- Boehner: 'We will not stand idle' on... 14
- Winners and losers under Obama's... 14