OCEAN CITY, Md. — Hurricane Sandy has done significant damage to a large ocean pier in the Maryland beach resort of Ocean City.
Police spokesman Mike Levy confirms the damage, which occurred overnight as the storm began to pound the resort town with waves, wind and rain.
Town officials plan to provide more details at a 10 a.m. Monday news conference.
The pier is at the southern end of the city's Boardwalk in an area that's been under a mandatory evacuation order since Sunday afternoon.
Tracy Marie Lind, a front desk worker at a Holiday Inn & Suites in Ocean City, said the pier was an icon and about as close to the ocean as one could get without getting in the water.
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Africa and...
- Friends, family of Dallas Ebola patient reach...
- Ana turns into hurricane off the coast of Hawaii
- Bishops scrap welcome to gays in sign of split
- Some 60 head of cattle shot in Nevada spree;...
- Can public officials refuse to perform...
- CDC to revise Ebola protocol, Pentagon preps...
- Police hunt for clues near where Va. remains...
- Can public officials refuse to perform... 67
- Houston subpoenas sermons in battle... 32
- Budget deficit drops to $483B, lowest... 26
- Official: 2nd worker isolated within 90... 21
- New Ebola 'czar' knows Washington, but... 21
- Why I stand with the Houston Five 16
- Are teachers getting behind Common... 15
- Gay marriage becomes legal in Arizona,... 14