OCEAN CITY, Md. — Hurricane Sandy has done significant damage to a large ocean pier in the Maryland beach resort of Ocean City.
Police spokesman Mike Levy confirms the damage, which occurred overnight as the storm began to pound the resort town with waves, wind and rain.
Town officials plan to provide more details at a 10 a.m. Monday news conference.
The pier is at the southern end of the city's Boardwalk in an area that's been under a mandatory evacuation order since Sunday afternoon.
Tracy Marie Lind, a front desk worker at a Holiday Inn & Suites in Ocean City, said the pier was an icon and about as close to the ocean as one could get without getting in the water.
- It's not just young people — seniors...
- Second man arrested trying to enter White...
- 11 best—and worst—state tax systems
- Secret Service boosts security outside White...
- Security breached: Intruder gets into White...
- Tense hunt in trooper ambush case hits 8 days
- White House intruder identified as Army...
- 'The Voice' returns Monday with Pharrell,...
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 19
- School police stock up on free military... 11
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- Security breached: Intruder gets into... 9
- How much America wants to be taxed 8
- Vikings place Adrian Peterson on exempt... 5
- Dempsey: Half of Iraqi army not OK as... 4
- PepsiCo latest sponsor to voice NFL... 4