OCEAN CITY, Md. — Hurricane Sandy has done significant damage to a large ocean pier in the Maryland beach resort of Ocean City.
Police spokesman Mike Levy confirms the damage, which occurred overnight as the storm began to pound the resort town with waves, wind and rain.
Town officials plan to provide more details at a 10 a.m. Monday news conference.
The pier is at the southern end of the city's Boardwalk in an area that's been under a mandatory evacuation order since Sunday afternoon.
Tracy Marie Lind, a front desk worker at a Holiday Inn & Suites in Ocean City, said the pier was an icon and about as close to the ocean as one could get without getting in the water.
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort
- NTSB: Plane that crashed in Arizona killing...
- GOP: Lois Lerner's IRS emails show bias...
- Witnesses at Utah trial: No security-camera...
- Ginsburg: High court won't 'duck' gay marriage
- GOP-led House ready to OK lawsuit against Obama
- The rise of social entrepreneurship: How...
- The Great War: 100 photos marking 100 years...
- US Court: Virginia marriage is for all... 52
- Obama to GOP: 'Stop just hating all the... 46
- GOP-led House ready to OK lawsuit... 36
- GOP: Lois Lerner's IRS emails show bias... 28
- Most Americans believe the U.S. should... 27
- House leaders abandon border bill 18
- GOP-led House approves lawsuit against... 14
- Democrats have million-dollar day on... 13