OCEAN CITY, Md. — Hurricane Sandy has done significant damage to a large ocean pier in the Maryland beach resort of Ocean City.
Police spokesman Mike Levy confirms the damage, which occurred overnight as the storm began to pound the resort town with waves, wind and rain.
Town officials plan to provide more details at a 10 a.m. Monday news conference.
The pier is at the southern end of the city's Boardwalk in an area that's been under a mandatory evacuation order since Sunday afternoon.
Tracy Marie Lind, a front desk worker at a Holiday Inn & Suites in Ocean City, said the pier was an icon and about as close to the ocean as one could get without getting in the water.
- Georgia girl struck by plane on Florida beach...
- The Great War: 100 photos marking 100 years...
- Trial begins for Salt Lake attorney seeking...
- Ground Zero cross can stay at 9/11 museum,...
- NCAA settles head injury suit, will change rules
- US Court: Virginia marriage is for all lovers
- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Navajo Generating Station, West's largest...
- US Court: Virginia marriage is for all... 43
- Federal land managers criticized over... 26
- Feds cap fines for not buying health... 22
- Obama maintains busy fundraising... 22
- After government topples crosses in... 19
- Fast food workers vow civil disobedience 15
- Gaza sides agree to lull but truce... 13
- Sarah Palin launches online... 10