OCEAN CITY, Md. — Hurricane Sandy has done significant damage to a large ocean pier in the Maryland beach resort of Ocean City.
Police spokesman Mike Levy confirms the damage, which occurred overnight as the storm began to pound the resort town with waves, wind and rain.
Town officials plan to provide more details at a 10 a.m. Monday news conference.
The pier is at the southern end of the city's Boardwalk in an area that's been under a mandatory evacuation order since Sunday afternoon.
Tracy Marie Lind, a front desk worker at a Holiday Inn & Suites in Ocean City, said the pier was an icon and about as close to the ocean as one could get without getting in the water.
- 50 things about 'The Sound of Music' to help...
- Utah assails Obama's Clean Power Plan
- Can you name your U.S. Representative? See...
- 11 Seussian quotations to celebrate Dr....
- 34 of the best Lemony Snicket quotes
- 17 years later, parents find kidnapped...
- Kerry tries to dampen fuss over Israeli PM's...
- What to expect from Costco's new deal with...
- FCC approves 'net neutrality' rules for... 26
- Congress OKs 1-week bill to keep... 24
- Utah assails Obama's Clean Power Plan 24
- Democrats caught between Obama,... 16
- Kerry tries to dampen fuss over Israeli... 16
- Calling for cooperation, Obama engages... 15
- Bill O'Reilly's partisan critics... 14
- 'Jihadi John' seen in beheading videos... 13