BAGHDAD — Iraqi authorities forced an Iranian cargo plane heading to Syria to land for inspection in Baghdad to ensure it was not carrying weapons, an Iraqi official said Sunday.
It was the second such forced landing this month. The plane was released after the check.
The move appeared aimed at easing U.S. concerns that Iraq has become a route for shipments of Iranian military supplies that might could Syrian President Bashar Assad battle rebels in his country's civil war.
The head of the Iraqi Civil Aviation Authority, Nassir Bandar, said the inspection took place Saturday. The inspectors allowed the plane to continue its flight after they determined there were no weapons onboard, he said.
"Our experts found that the plane was carrying only medical supplies and foodstuffs," Bandar said, "so the flight was allowed to proceed."
Bandar said Iraqi authorities would continue searching planes suspected of transporting arms to Syria. Iraqi officials have repeatedly said they would not allow their country or airspace to be a corridor for arms shipments to either Syrian government forces or rebels.
Iraq ordered another Iranian cargo plane to land for inspection on Oct. 2. No weapons were found in that search, either.
Last month, Iraq banned a North Korea plane from crossing its airspace because of suspicions it was carrying weapons to Syria.
American officials have expressed concern that Iranian planes may be ferrying weapons over Iraq, and they have pressed Baghdad to take stronger action to ensure that no such transfers occur.
Also Sunday, police said three people were killed and eight others wounded when two bombs exploded near a market southeast of Baghdad.
Police said the simultaneous attacks Sunday morning took place in Madain, about 14 miles southeast of Baghdad, as shoppers started to arrive.
- It's not just young people — seniors...
- 11 best—and worst—state tax systems
- Secret Service boosts security outside White...
- 'Maze Runner' races past 'Tombstones' with...
- White House intruder identified as Army...
- Tense hunt in trooper ambush case hits 8 days
- Second man arrested trying to enter White...
- Security breached: Intruder gets into White...
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 20
- School police stock up on free military... 11
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- Security breached: Intruder gets into... 9
- How much America wants to be taxed 8
- Vikings place Adrian Peterson on exempt... 5
- It's not just young people —... 5
- Dempsey: Half of Iraqi army not OK as... 4