BAGHDAD — Iraqi authorities forced an Iranian cargo plane heading to Syria to land for inspection in Baghdad to ensure it was not carrying weapons, an Iraqi official said Sunday.
It was the second such forced landing this month. The plane was released after the check.
The move appeared aimed at easing U.S. concerns that Iraq has become a route for shipments of Iranian military supplies that might could Syrian President Bashar Assad battle rebels in his country's civil war.
The head of the Iraqi Civil Aviation Authority, Nassir Bandar, said the inspection took place Saturday. The inspectors allowed the plane to continue its flight after they determined there were no weapons onboard, he said.
"Our experts found that the plane was carrying only medical supplies and foodstuffs," Bandar said, "so the flight was allowed to proceed."
Bandar said Iraqi authorities would continue searching planes suspected of transporting arms to Syria. Iraqi officials have repeatedly said they would not allow their country or airspace to be a corridor for arms shipments to either Syrian government forces or rebels.
Iraq ordered another Iranian cargo plane to land for inspection on Oct. 2. No weapons were found in that search, either.
Last month, Iraq banned a North Korea plane from crossing its airspace because of suspicions it was carrying weapons to Syria.
American officials have expressed concern that Iranian planes may be ferrying weapons over Iraq, and they have pressed Baghdad to take stronger action to ensure that no such transfers occur.
Also Sunday, police said three people were killed and eight others wounded when two bombs exploded near a market southeast of Baghdad.
Police said the simultaneous attacks Sunday morning took place in Madain, about 14 miles southeast of Baghdad, as shoppers started to arrive.
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Ex-KKK leader David Duke runs for Senate: 'My...
- AP source: Clinton's choice for VP to be...
- Hillary Clinton selects running mate for...
- Self-assured, Kaine brings a steady hand to...
- Trump takes time from victory lap to swat at...
- California governor denies parole for Manson...
- AP Poll: Support grows among Americans for...
- Sarah Silverman: Bernie-or-bust Dems... 49
- After turmoil, Sanders, Michelle Obama,... 31
- Is Bernie Sanders an atheist? 31
- Dems' division, emails roil party on... 28
- Watch live at the Democratic National... 25
- In wake of email hack, Democratic chair... 23
- Clinton wins historic nomination,... 22
- Trump taunts claims that Russia hacked... 20