Utah Utes football: Reggie Dunn returns 2 kickoffs for touchdowns in win over Cal
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Reggie Dunn became the first player in Utah history and 16th player in NCAA history to return two kickoffs for a touchdown in one game in Saturday night's win over Cal.
The senior from Compton got the Utes started with a 100-yard kickoff return in the first quarter, and for good measure added another in the fourth quarter with the Utes already leading 42-13.
"It sparked the team and the whole crowd," Dunn said. "It was fun, especially in the blackout game at home. It doesn't get any better than that. A lot of credit goes to the special teams coordinator and the guys on the kick return team."
Dunn took the first kickoff a couple of yards deep in the end zone and looked like he was going to get dropped inside the 20. He appeared to run into his own man around the 25-yard line and then emerged in the open. He weaved his way back and forth before emerging in the clear around midfield, then outran everyone to the end zone.
"I ran into somebody's back and I thought I was going to get tackled and then saw open daylight," Dunn said.
Then, after Cal scored on the last play of the third quarter, Dunn took the kickoff a few yards deep, veered left, then right and avoided a tackler at the 15-yard line and pranced into the end zone.
"I didn't think they were going to give me another shot, but they kicked it in the end zone and I took it out because I have so much confidence in my kickoff return team."
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- 5 things to watch for as BYU, Utah and USU...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- Randy Hollis: Utah's Perrins is one of the...
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule difficult...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 109
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 54
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 50
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 44
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 24
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 21