Utah Utes football: Reggie Dunn returns 2 kickoffs for touchdowns in win over Cal
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Reggie Dunn became the first player in Utah history and 16th player in NCAA history to return two kickoffs for a touchdown in one game in Saturday night's win over Cal.
The senior from Compton got the Utes started with a 100-yard kickoff return in the first quarter, and for good measure added another in the fourth quarter with the Utes already leading 42-13.
"It sparked the team and the whole crowd," Dunn said. "It was fun, especially in the blackout game at home. It doesn't get any better than that. A lot of credit goes to the special teams coordinator and the guys on the kick return team."
Dunn took the first kickoff a couple of yards deep in the end zone and looked like he was going to get dropped inside the 20. He appeared to run into his own man around the 25-yard line and then emerged in the open. He weaved his way back and forth before emerging in the clear around midfield, then outran everyone to the end zone.
"I ran into somebody's back and I thought I was going to get tackled and then saw open daylight," Dunn said.
Then, after Cal scored on the last play of the third quarter, Dunn took the kickoff a few yards deep, veered left, then right and avoided a tackler at the 15-yard line and pranced into the end zone.
"I didn't think they were going to give me another shot, but they kicked it in the end zone and I took it out because I have so much confidence in my kickoff return team."
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- College football: Utes wrap up...
- Dick Harmon: Fredette family discusses...
- BYU's Arellano makes big impact in win over...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Travis Wilson needs another...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 108
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 73
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 65
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 59
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 39
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 34