Utah Utes football: Reggie Dunn has two 100-yard returns for touchdowns to lead Utah over Cal
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
For Utah's Reggie Dunn, the annual blackout game was one of those nights where it seemed to go his way.
He had the Utes' first touch of the game as he returned a California kick off 100 yards for a touchdown.
After that, Dunn stayed fairly quiet. Until early in the fourth quarter, he did it again.
Weaving between Cal players and cutting quickly to avoid tackles, he added 100 more yards and another touchdown to his game.
At that point Utah was soundly beating California, as they went up in the first quarter and never allowed the Golden Bears any opportunity to close the gap, soundly winning 49-27.
Utah started the game looking disjointed and confused on offense, much like they have the last four games which all resulted in losses. Even though the team in black finished the first quarter with 14 points, zero of those came from the offense.
In the second quarter, Utah finally put together two long drives to extend their lead over California, 28-6 going into halftime.
The final Ute drive of the half was led by running backs Kelvin York and John White. The two running backs combined for 156 yards in the game.
Utah quarterback Travis Wilson threw for a humble 156 yards, however he completed 16 of 24 pass attempts and completed a 41-yard pass to Luke Matthews in the third quarter which set the Utes up for John White rushing touchdown. This put the Utes up 35-6 and arguably sealed the win.
California was led by Chris Harper who finished with 7 receptions for 86 yards. Cal quarterback Zach Maynard threw for 288 yards.
The Ute defense was immaculate by keeping the Golden Bears out of the end zone for most of the game. They also recovered a fumble for a touchdown and Ryan Lacy came away with an interception.
Utah finally appeared to be on the same page with each other and come away with their first conference win of the season.
Whitney O'Bannon is currently a new media sports intern for the Deseret News.
- Utah Jazz legend John Stockton, Weber State...
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look at...
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- Hill, Whittingham meet after football...
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act together
- Injury-riddled BYU set to host WCC powerhouse...
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave Christensen...
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 174
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 117
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 74
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 61
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 52
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 52