Webb: Don't we wish. The problem is winners at all levels will have to govern. Campaigning is the easy part. Governing is the hard part. The federal government, in particular, has taken on so many responsibilities, far beyond its proper role, that it's a mess. Out-of-control deficit spending, enormous entitlement liabilities, broad dependence on government programs and high expectations all mean the next president faces nearly insurmountable challenges.
The harsh reality of the office will quickly become apparent. Unpopular decisions and angry constituencies await whoever wins. The 2014 elections could mean another rout for the party in power.
Pignanelli: Ha! Just ask the strident disciples of Bush 1, Clinton, Bush 2, Obama, etc., what they thought of their hero several years into office. Moreover, our culture presupposes a triumphant political campaign will magically transform supporters into a joyful lot. This suggests Utah Republicans are fun and joyful — they are not. Many of them are like LaVarr, never happy with success and always grumbling about some imagined Democratic plot.
Republican LaVarr Webb is a political consultant and lobbyist. Previously he was policy deputy to Gov. Mike Leavitt and Deseret News managing editor. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Democrat Frank Pignanelli is a Salt Lake attorney, lobbyist and political adviser. Pignanelli served 10 years in the Utah House of Representatives, six years as minority leader. His spouse, D'Arcy Dixon Pignanelli, is a state tax commissioner. Email: email@example.com.
- In our opinion: Despite alarming shift...
- My view: Drafting women a threat to religious...
- Richard Davis: What will Americans sacrifice...
- Derek B. Miller: It's my party and I'll decry...
- In our opinion: Politics and ISIS
- Jay Evensen: The IOC demonstrates again why...
- Letter: Cruz took a stand
- Letter: Acting presidential
- Letter: Guns in America 55
- In our opinion: Planned Parenthood... 49
- Richard Davis: What will Americans... 47
- In our opinion: Despite alarming shift... 34
- Letter: Acting presidential 31
- Letter: Cruz took a stand 30
- Dan Liljenquist: Presidential politics... 29
- My view: What message does Melania's... 25