Webb: Don't we wish. The problem is winners at all levels will have to govern. Campaigning is the easy part. Governing is the hard part. The federal government, in particular, has taken on so many responsibilities, far beyond its proper role, that it's a mess. Out-of-control deficit spending, enormous entitlement liabilities, broad dependence on government programs and high expectations all mean the next president faces nearly insurmountable challenges.
The harsh reality of the office will quickly become apparent. Unpopular decisions and angry constituencies await whoever wins. The 2014 elections could mean another rout for the party in power.
Pignanelli: Ha! Just ask the strident disciples of Bush 1, Clinton, Bush 2, Obama, etc., what they thought of their hero several years into office. Moreover, our culture presupposes a triumphant political campaign will magically transform supporters into a joyful lot. This suggests Utah Republicans are fun and joyful — they are not. Many of them are like LaVarr, never happy with success and always grumbling about some imagined Democratic plot.
Republican LaVarr Webb is a political consultant and lobbyist. Previously he was policy deputy to Gov. Mike Leavitt and Deseret News managing editor. Email: email@example.com.
Democrat Frank Pignanelli is a Salt Lake attorney, lobbyist and political adviser. Pignanelli served 10 years in the Utah House of Representatives, six years as minority leader. His spouse, D'Arcy Dixon Pignanelli, is a state tax commissioner. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Doug Robinson: We are in the midst of an era...
- President should not act without...
- My view: Non-discrimination laws have a problem
- Matthew Sanders: Nelson Mandela's goodness...
- Michael Gerson: The gospel according to JC...
- In our opinion: No more 'Government Motors'
- Richard Davis: Mandela's greatest achievement...
- In our opinion: Don't raise the minimum... 65
- My view: Fix Obamacare, don't replace it 59
- Robert Bennett: Create wealth before... 43
- Letter: Doctors unite 40
- Andrew Morriss: No, Congress should not... 38
- Can Mandela's legacy revive the GOP? 24
- Michael E. Kraft: Yes, Congress should... 22
- President should not act without... 22