WEST VALLEY CITY — The Utah Grizzlies (4-1) defeated the Colorado Eagles 4-3 in a shootout Friday night at Maverik Center.
Utah built an early 2-0 lead with goals from Paul McIlveen and Trevor Glass 2:57 apart at 5:04 and 8:01 of the first period.
Colorado tied the game at two with two second period power-play goals and took a 3-2 third period lead 6:56 into the third period.
The Grizzlies came back with Brad Mills burying the tying goal as Utah went into desperation mode with 8:41 left in regulation.
In the shootout, Utah again came back and won the shootout 3-2 as Andrew Engelage (4-1) stopped four-straight to finish the session and Nick Tuzzolino scored in the top of round six for Utah's game-winner.
Utah outshot Colorado 53-25 in the game as Eagles goaltender Kyle Jones came up big, especially in the first period as Utah fired a season-high 20 shots on goal.
The Grizzlies continue Oktoberfest Saturday at Maverik Center when they will host Idaho at 7 p.m. Oktoberfest specials include $11 lower bowl tickets, $2 soft pretzels, $4 brats, $2 domestic beers and $4 premium beers. In addition, Saturday is also Angel's Hands Night. The Grizzlies will be wearing specialty jerseys that will be auctioned off live after the game and the first 2,000 fans will receive cowbells.
GRIZZLIES NOTES: Greg McCauley has been named the team's assistant coach.
McCauley, 30, who played for the Grizzlies in 2008-2009; played and coached in Turkey last season. In 2010-2011, he led the Broom County
Cape Cod Barons of the Federal Hockey League to a 16-10-0-3 mark as their head coach.
"Greg was a comfortable and familiar addition to our team this year during training camp and early this season," said Grizzlies Head Coach Kevin Colley. "He has a good feel for the game and the preparation on and off the ice that go into it."
The team has also added Ian Greenwald as an assistant in hockey operations and video.
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback Austin...
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up...
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby player...
- Links: BYU gets a new commitment; Utes are...
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders weigh in...
- High school baseball: Clutch fifth inning...
- High school boys basketball: Lone Peak hires...
- Prep softball: Lehi whips Herriman twice to...
- Doug Robinson: BYU football may be... 125
- Links: BYU gets a new commitment; Utes... 40
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders... 31
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 29
- Ranking the best quarterbacks in... 23
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 14
- Morning links: Jazz in the lottery;... 13
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on... 13