WEST VALLEY CITY — The Utah Grizzlies (4-1) defeated the Colorado Eagles 4-3 in a shootout Friday night at Maverik Center.
Utah built an early 2-0 lead with goals from Paul McIlveen and Trevor Glass 2:57 apart at 5:04 and 8:01 of the first period.
Colorado tied the game at two with two second period power-play goals and took a 3-2 third period lead 6:56 into the third period.
The Grizzlies came back with Brad Mills burying the tying goal as Utah went into desperation mode with 8:41 left in regulation.
In the shootout, Utah again came back and won the shootout 3-2 as Andrew Engelage (4-1) stopped four-straight to finish the session and Nick Tuzzolino scored in the top of round six for Utah's game-winner.
Utah outshot Colorado 53-25 in the game as Eagles goaltender Kyle Jones came up big, especially in the first period as Utah fired a season-high 20 shots on goal.
The Grizzlies continue Oktoberfest Saturday at Maverik Center when they will host Idaho at 7 p.m. Oktoberfest specials include $11 lower bowl tickets, $2 soft pretzels, $4 brats, $2 domestic beers and $4 premium beers. In addition, Saturday is also Angel's Hands Night. The Grizzlies will be wearing specialty jerseys that will be auctioned off live after the game and the first 2,000 fans will receive cowbells.
GRIZZLIES NOTES: Greg McCauley has been named the team's assistant coach.
McCauley, 30, who played for the Grizzlies in 2008-2009; played and coached in Turkey last season. In 2010-2011, he led the Broom County
Cape Cod Barons of the Federal Hockey League to a 16-10-0-3 mark as their head coach.
"Greg was a comfortable and familiar addition to our team this year during training camp and early this season," said Grizzlies Head Coach Kevin Colley. "He has a good feel for the game and the preparation on and off the ice that go into it."
The team has also added Ian Greenwald as an assistant in hockey operations and video.
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get washed away...
- High school football: Bingham accepts invite...
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0
- Despite the loss, Savannah State coach...
- High school football: Timpview overcomes...
- BYU's senior day emotional for Cougar coach...
- Dick Harmon: Utah tries to break out of...
- Jimmer Fredette trying to keep his head up as...
- BYU's Hill plans to return for senior... 115
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 94
- Runnin' Utes lose defensive battle at... 68
- Utes still have outside chance at... 36
- UHSAA's Board of Trustees assigns high... 35
- For BYU, it's not about opponent... 30
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 25
- Freshman Jake Toolson leads Cougars... 21