From Latin America to New Hampshire: Airlines ask fliers to reschedule due to developing 'Frankenstorm'
Uncredited, ASSOCIATED PRESS
NEW YORK — Some U.S. airlines are giving travelers a way out if they want to scrap their plans due to Hurricane Sandy.
JetBlue, US Airways and Spirit Airlines are offering waivers to customers who wish to reschedule their flights without paying the typical fee of up to $150. The offers cover passengers flying just about anywhere from Latin America to New Hampshire.
Most other airlines are monitoring the storm and plan to update passengers later Friday. The airlines have only canceled a handful of flights so far, nearly all of them in and out of Florida and the Caribbean.
Hurricane Sandy plowed through the Bahamas early Friday after leaving 38 people dead across the Caribbean. Forecasters say it could blend with a winter storm to produce a so-called "Frankenstorm" along the U.S. East Coast next week.
Those hoping to fly in or out of affected areas are asked to check their flight status before heading to the airport. To cancel, they should call the airline directly.
The last major storm to threaten airline operations was Hurricane Isaac, which led to a few hundred canceled flights. A major storm on a path along the East Coast is especially threatening to airline operations because traffic there is heavily concentrated in several major metropolitan areas.
- Penny-farthing owner keeps on riding
- Authorities: Munich shooter planned attack...
- Clinton's turn: Guide to the Democratic...
- Baton Rouge to continue to mourn officers...
- Civil-rights marchers: US still needs to...
- Obama: Trump's NATO comments show...
- Turkey investigating people who say coup...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Sarah Silverman: Bernie-or-bust Dems... 49
- Is Bernie Sanders an atheist? 44
- Trump says Russia should find Clinton's... 43
- Obama boosts Clinton: Carry her like... 41
- Clinton wins historic nomination,... 37
- After turmoil, Sanders, Michelle Obama,... 31
- Dems' division, emails roil party on... 28
- Democrats and Republicans double-down... 28