Obama's campaign also announced joint rallies Monday with Bill Clinton in Orlando, Fla., Youngstown, Ohio, and Prince William County, Va. The president also picked up an endorsement from former Secretary of State Colin Powell, a Republican who supported Obama in 2008. Powell praised Obama's handling of the economic recovery, telling "CBS This Morning," ''I think we've begun to come out of the dive and we're gaining attitude."
Later Thursday, in his hometown of Chicago, Obama was scheduled to be the first president to vote early in person. By making a special trip just to cast his vote, Obama sought to build awareness about the early voting option, which is a vital part of both campaigns' political operations.
The nonstop travels were the busiest single stretch of Obama's long and combative run for a second term.
Romney was waking up in Cincinnati to kick off a daylong swing through three Ohio towns, sharpening his focus on a state that's critical to his hopes of winning the White House. The Republican's advisers say their internal data has him tied to win the state's 18 electoral college votes, but public polling has shown Obama with a slim lead.
Romney is working to cast Obama's campaign as focused on small issues while the Republican ticket is focused on fixing the nation's serious fiscal problems.
"His campaign seems to be smaller and smaller by the day," Romney told more than 2,000 people in an airplane hangar off the tarmac in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, his campaign plane looming behind him. "Attacking me is not an agenda for the future."
He campaigned in Iowa hours after Obama, who had stopped in the state earlier in the day.
Romney's stop was brief; less than an hour after landing Romney was en route to Cincinnati, Ohio, where he spent the night.
Hunt reported from Cincinnati; Julie Pace in Washington contributed to this report. Follow Kasie Hunt on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/kasie
- Security breached: Intruder gets into White...
- 'The Voice' returns Monday with Pharrell,...
- Tense hunt in trooper ambush case hits 8 days
- 11 best—and worst—state tax systems
- Second man arrested trying to enter White...
- After vote to stay in UK, Scots must heal divide
- Italian village honoring pilots of WWII US...
- Actress detained by police refuses to apologize
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 19
- School police stock up on free military... 11
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- Security breached: Intruder gets into... 8
- How much America wants to be taxed 8
- New Jersey loses 4th casino as Trump... 5
- Vikings place Adrian Peterson on exempt... 5
- US to assign 3,000 from US military to... 4