Utah Utes basketball: Bonus basketball as new Runnin' Utes are unveiled
Ben Brewer, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah's "Night with the Runnin' Utes" was supposed to consist of two 20-minute games. The first one, though, was so evenly matched that it capped all action at the annual unveiling of the men's basketball program.
There was overtime, double overtime, triple overtime and finally quadruple overtime before the bonus basketball ended with the white jerseys defeating the black jerseys 65-62 before an estimated crowd of 2,000 Wednesday night in the Huntsman Center.
Cedric Martin and Renan Lenz led the winning team with 17 points apiece. Glen Dean finished with 15 points and six assists, while Dallin Bachynski contributed14 points, nine rebounds and three blocks.
Jordan Loveridge topped the other squad with 17 points and five rebounds. Justin Seymour and Jason Washburn added 16 and 14, respectively. Brandon Taylor had five rebounds and Jarred DuBois dished out five assists.
Utah coach Larry Krystkowiak acknowledged the situation couldn't have been unfolded any better.
"It allowed us to keep the same teams and battle," he said. "So it was a lot of fun."
Krystkowiak expected the players to be a little more tired in their first action in public.
"It seemed like our conditioning was pretty solid and guys played well," Krystkowiak said while noting that the offense clicked well and executed. "I think where we really need to dig in and find out where we're breaking down is on the defensive side of the ball."
The competitiveness, though, took center stage. After three five-minute overtimes, Krystkowiak opted for a two-minute session to close it out.
"I'm tired. It was real competitive," Washburn said. "I think obviously it shows coach did a good job making the teams even. We went out and we treated it like a game."
As soon as the scrimmage ended, Krystkowiak thanked the crowd over the public address system and told them "there are a lot better days ahead."
Utah hosts Simon Fraser in an exhibition game on Friday, Nov. 2. The Utes open the regular season one week later at home against Willamette.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 24
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22