TUNIS, Tunisia — A Tunisian man who was arrested in Turkey this month with reported links to the attack on a U.S. consulate in Libya is facing terrorism charges, his lawyer said Wednesday, as an Egyptian official said a militant suspected of involvement was killed in clashes in Cairo.
Ali Harzi was repatriated to Tunisia on Oct. 11 by authorities in Turkey, and a judge issued his arrest warrant, lawyer Ouled Ali Anwar told The Associated Press. He said his client was told by a judge Tuesday that he has been charged with "membership of a terrorist organization in a time of peace in another country."
A person who saw Harzi's court dossier told The Associated Press that the file links him to the Sept. 11 attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi that left Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans dead.
He said Harzi is one of two Tunisians reportedly arrested Oct. 3 in Turkey when they tried to enter the country with false passports. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to release the information. Harzi's alleged role in the attack is not clear.
Anwar denied there was any evidence that Ali was implicated in the attacks. He added his client was not using a fake passport, saying he was a "scapegoat to satisfy the Americans."
The charge against Harzi is punishable by six to 12 years in prison, according to the provisions of the anti-terrorist law in force in Tunisia since 2003.
- 'I am Adam Lanza's Mother' author Liza Long...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving door...
- Extended warranties a big sell. Are they...
- Racing wildfire engulfs homes in California town
- Scholarship lotteries, popular with everyone,...
- Gamers use police hoax to lash out at opponents
- Top 15 states for education
- Feds chase treasure hunter turned fugitive
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 66
- US wealth gap putting the squeeze on... 26
- Obama 'confident' of Islamic State... 19
- Americans link violence with Muslims,... 13
- Utah's Gov. Gary Herbert eyes more... 11
- Chicago, NY, Hawaii on Obama library's... 10
- Can Obama wage war without consent of... 5
- Rare snowstorm slams Rockies states,... 5