Greg Peterson, a GOP activist charged with 26 counts of sexual abuse, has committed suicide
Salt Lake County Attorney Sim Gill has confirmed
SALT LAKE CITY Greg Peterson, a GOP activist who was charged with 26 counts of sexual abuse, has been confirmed dead as the result of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
Sim Gill, Salt Lake County district attorney, confirmed that Wasatch County Sheriff's office discovered his body at his Timber Lakes subdivision in Wasatch County.
Peterson was released from jail Oct. 19 after posting bail using a bail bondsman. His bail was set at $2 million and he was required to pay 10 percent of that amount.
Peterson was charged with raping, kidnapping or assaulting women he met on dating websites. Several women claim he took them to his Heber cabin and intimidated or threatened them. Investigators say they have identified victims going all the way back to 2011.
Peterson had been a conservative activist until the allegations came to light in July of 2012. In the wake of longtime GOP senator Bob Bennett's loss in the primaries, Utah conservatives turned to fresh faces for fundraising efforts, among them Peterson.
- 5 Browns sisters to promote bill on statute...
- High school student found dead near Draper...
- 14 things you didn't know about dreams
- Heavy rains in Utah fail to wash away drought
- Teen injured in Memorial Day crash dies
- Vernal man accused of beating puppy with a bat
- Ex-teacher who abused students asks judge not...
- We're not in Utah anymore — photos of...
- Gov. Herbert stepping up pressure on... 44
- Utahns cheer, jeer appeals court's... 42
- 5 Browns sisters to promote bill on... 39
- Utah Attorney General's office moves to... 25
- Heavy rains in Utah fail to wash away... 24
- Grantsville residents tell Prison... 23
- Parents of teen who died in overdose... 17
- Salt Lake City leaders announce... 15