Greg Peterson, a GOP activist charged with 26 counts of sexual abuse, has committed suicide
Salt Lake County Attorney Sim Gill has confirmed
SALT LAKE CITY Greg Peterson, a GOP activist who was charged with 26 counts of sexual abuse, has been confirmed dead as the result of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
Sim Gill, Salt Lake County district attorney, confirmed that Wasatch County Sheriff's office discovered his body at his Timber Lakes subdivision in Wasatch County.
Peterson was released from jail Oct. 19 after posting bail using a bail bondsman. His bail was set at $2 million and he was required to pay 10 percent of that amount.
Peterson was charged with raping, kidnapping or assaulting women he met on dating websites. Several women claim he took them to his Heber cabin and intimidated or threatened them. Investigators say they have identified victims going all the way back to 2011.
Peterson had been a conservative activist until the allegations came to light in July of 2012. In the wake of longtime GOP senator Bob Bennett's loss in the primaries, Utah conservatives turned to fresh faces for fundraising efforts, among them Peterson.
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over, West...
- S.L. draws up airport plans
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah Scout...
- Warrants issued for 3 suspects in beating...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- 'Mantiques' could be a ticket to more cash
- XanGo co-founder accuses partners of...
- World War II munitions with mustard agent...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet,... 66
- Mia Love announces she's officially... 42
- GOP delegates reject changes to... 31
- S.L. draws up airport plans 30
- XanGo co-founder accuses partners of... 22
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over,... 19
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah... 19
- Gov. Gary Herbert tells Washington... 14