Greg Peterson, a GOP activist charged with 26 counts of sexual abuse, has committed suicide
Salt Lake County Attorney Sim Gill has confirmed
SALT LAKE CITY Greg Peterson, a GOP activist who was charged with 26 counts of sexual abuse, has been confirmed dead as the result of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
Sim Gill, Salt Lake County district attorney, confirmed that Wasatch County Sheriff's office discovered his body at his Timber Lakes subdivision in Wasatch County.
Peterson was released from jail Oct. 19 after posting bail using a bail bondsman. His bail was set at $2 million and he was required to pay 10 percent of that amount.
Peterson was charged with raping, kidnapping or assaulting women he met on dating websites. Several women claim he took them to his Heber cabin and intimidated or threatened them. Investigators say they have identified victims going all the way back to 2011.
Peterson had been a conservative activist until the allegations came to light in July of 2012. In the wake of longtime GOP senator Bob Bennett's loss in the primaries, Utah conservatives turned to fresh faces for fundraising efforts, among them Peterson.
- Was pregnancy rumor a factor in killing of...
- Two men charged with vandalizing LDS church...
- Father says daughter was stabbed 46 times
- Missing oilfield worker's body found near Vernal
- Conrad Truman found guilty of murdering wife...
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015 World...
- Teen accused of killing 15-year-old makes...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 87
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 60
- Federal government extends same-sex... 40
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015... 29
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy... 24
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- Support for statewide nondiscrimination... 17
- Owens participates in Rotary Club... 16