Greg Peterson, a GOP activist charged with 26 counts of sexual abuse, has committed suicide
Salt Lake County Attorney Sim Gill has confirmed
SALT LAKE CITY Greg Peterson, a GOP activist who was charged with 26 counts of sexual abuse, has been confirmed dead as the result of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
Sim Gill, Salt Lake County district attorney, confirmed that Wasatch County Sheriff's office discovered his body at his Timber Lakes subdivision in Wasatch County.
Peterson was released from jail Oct. 19 after posting bail using a bail bondsman. His bail was set at $2 million and he was required to pay 10 percent of that amount.
Peterson was charged with raping, kidnapping or assaulting women he met on dating websites. Several women claim he took them to his Heber cabin and intimidated or threatened them. Investigators say they have identified victims going all the way back to 2011.
Peterson had been a conservative activist until the allegations came to light in July of 2012. In the wake of longtime GOP senator Bob Bennett's loss in the primaries, Utah conservatives turned to fresh faces for fundraising efforts, among them Peterson.
- Smithfield teen makes Valentine's Day special...
- Scalia's death leaves major void in high...
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain from...
- France bestows highest honor on Utah veteran
- Giant Kennecott dump trucks are sporting an...
- Logan man killed in Idaho car crash
- 3 seriously injured in multi-vehicle crash on...
- Inversion tightens grip on Wasatch Front
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain... 39
- Manti man indicted in Oregon... 36
- Scalia's death leaves major void in... 24
- IRS raids properties with possible... 21
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- State: EPA didn't clue in Utah on San... 12
- Summit County wants rewrite of Bishop's... 11