With the Iraq war over and Afghanistan winding down, worries about the possibility of a new U.S. military conflict focus on Iran.
Despite unprecedented global penalties, Iran's nuclear program is advancing. Western nations fear the Islamic republic is determined to develop nuclear weapons and fundamentally reshape the balance of power in the Middle East. That would pose a grave threat to Israel. Iran says its program is for peaceful energy and research purposes.
Israel could decide to strike Iran's nuclear sites on its own, and Israeli leaders say time to act is running out.
If attacked, Iran might retaliate by disrupting global fuel supplies, striking U.S. personnel and bases in the region or supporting terrorism. The conflict could become a new war in the Muslim world.
- Photos: Celebrating 25 years of spectacular...
- Yellowstone supervolcano is super big, new U....
- Native American actors walk off set of Adam...
- Number of LDS converts, missionaries...
- Jaws meets kangaroo? Rare, cute pocket shark...
- 23 of the best Shakespearean insults to...
- House Benghazi panel calls Clinton to testify
- What could McDonald's do to fix its business?
- Same-sex marriage opponents urge... 36
- House Benghazi panel calls Clinton to... 28
- Obama sounds alarm on climate damage in... 24
- Gay marriage a difficult issue for GOP... 24
- Yellowstone supervolcano is super big,... 24
- American, Italian hostages killed in US... 20
- Longtime Marco Rubio-Jeb Bush alliance... 13
- Hatch, Lee split on new attorney general 12