Our take: It's no secret that religion and politics divide, particularly during presidential elections. However, a new study shows that this divide is even more prominent among upper-class white citizens.
The study from the Cornell National Social Survey is at odds against the current debate surrounding the so called 'culture war.' The study found religion impacts voting trends among upper-class white voters the most from 1980 until 2008. The greatest swing was only limited to upper-class white voters, both religious and secular.
Futurity breaks down the study.
CORNELL (US) — Religions influence on voter choice intensified between the 1980 and 2008 elections, but only among upper-income white Protestants and Catholics, a new study shows.
Every four years, the differences between the US political parties are thrown into sharp relief, thanks to presidential elections.
For the study published in the Review of European Studies, researchers analyzed two large surveys of voter choice.
The General Social Survey is a nationally representative, repeat cross-section of American voters across eight presidential elections from Ronald Reagans win in 1980 to Barack Obamas in 2008, and the Cornell National Social Survey (CNSS) recovered identified presidential choice in 1,000 households for the 2008 election.
- Utah family adopts 2 newborns 6 weeks apart
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- LDS Church releases video, topic page...
- Two Christian ministers refuse to perform...
- Wright Words: A day in the life of Mormon...
- An LDS missionary and a Marine: Twin brothers...
- LDS grandmother completes Personal Progress...
- 'Meet the Mormons' box office continues to...
- Two Christian ministers refuse to... 53
- LDS Church releases video, topic page... 31
- LDS CIO helps LDSTech attendees better... 26
- Why I stand with the Houston Five 21
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- An LDS missionary and a Marine: Twin... 13
- Here's how you can learn more about God 13
- Bishops scrap welcome to gays in sign... 9