JAMES FELILA, Kearns, football: Senior running back had a monster game last week in leading Kearns to a 49-34 victory over Granger.
The win secured a second-place finish in Region 2 and Kearns' first home playoff game since 1993.
Felila torched Granger's defense for 263 yards and five TDs on 33 carries.
It was the sixth game this season Felila has eclipsed 200 yards rushing as he increased his season total to 1,845 yards and 22 touchdowns.
His 1,845 yards is a new single-season school record, and his career total of 2,752 yards is also a school record.
"The thing he does, he's going to go through the first tackle and he never stops his legs moving. A couple of his scores against Granger were in piles and he just kept moving his legs," said Kearns coach Bill Cosper.
ELLA JOHNSON, Viewmont, soccer: This senior defender picked the perfect time to score the biggest goal of her life.
Her 95th minute goal in last year's 5A championship game propelled Viewmont to the 1-0 victory over previously undefeated Alta at Rio Tinto Stadium.
Johnson had pushed forward for the corner kick, and the BYU commit was in the perfect spot to head home her fifth goal of the season.
"Ella has been one of our leaders all year long, and has helped anchor our defense that didn't necessarily mesh very well at the beginning of the year. She was dynamic in creating a cohesive unit," said Viewmont coach Emalee Tate.
Johnson's defensive ability was a big reason Viewmont finished with a 19-1 record and the 5A title that had eluded Viewmont on the final day of the season the previous two years.
- BYU basketball: Confident San Francisco...
- Ranking the best NBA players to ever come out...
- Former Lone Peak center Justin Hamilton makes...
- Basketball bonds: Hoops have tied Utah star...
- 15 lessons learned from a BYU rugby game
- Utah Jazz: Boos for Paul Millsap?...
- Photo story: What teenagers taught me at the...
- High school boys basketball: TJ Haws' career...
- Utah basketball: Utes clip Cal in... 84
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 72
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- BYU football: Practice fights elicit... 57
- Doug Robinson: Time to move on for... 44
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes eager to... 29
- BYU basketball: Bottom seed LMU knocks... 26