To some, President Obama is the wrong kind of Christian
Our take: While much has been written about Mitt Romney's Mormonism, here is an examination by CNN's John Blake on Presidents Barack Obama's Christianity. Blake calls Obama a religious pioneer who is expanding the definition of who can be a Christian "by challenging the religious rights domination of the national stage."
President Barack Obama was sharing a pulpit one day with a conservative Christian leader when a revealing exchange took place.
Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback, a conservative Christian who has taken public stands against abortion and same-sex marriage, had joined Obama for an AIDS summit. They were speaking before a conservative megachurch filled with white evangelicals.
When Brownback rose to speak, he joked that he had joined Obama earlier at an NAACP meeting where Obama was treated like Elvis and he was virtually ignored. Turning to Obama, a smiling Brownback said, "Welcome to my house!"
The audience exploded with laughter and applause. Obama rose, walked before the congregation and then declared:
"There is one thing I have to say, Sam. This is my house, too. This is Gods house."
- Mormon mom battling breast cancer during...
- LDS sister missionaries assaulted in Chile
- Lutheran, LDS leaders forge common ground...
- LDS Church announces Cedar City temple...
- ValueSpeak: How did my toddler grandson...
- LDS artist J. Kirk Richards says leaps of...
- 20 years later, 'blessed' Herring believes he...
- 5 faith facts about Ben Carson: retired...
- Online system will allow Mormons to pay... 72
- God will give you more than you can... 51
- Defending the Faith: Going up to Jerusalem 31
- Mormon man's half-court shot is a... 25
- LDS sister missionaries assaulted in Chile 14
- LDS artist J. Kirk Richards says leaps... 9
- Lutheran, LDS leaders forge common... 9
- BYU Cougarettes, National Hip-Hop... 8