Police say West Valley man took electronics from boy, assaulted boy's father
SALT LAKE CITY — An 18-year-old man faces multiple robbery and assault charges after police say he took electronics from a young boy in a park and then got into a physical confrontation with the child's father.
Saney Abdi, of West Valley City, faces multiple charges in connection with two alleged incidents Oct. 9 in a park near 3270 South and 8400 West in Magna, according to charges filed in 3rd District Court.
Abdi and another man, who has not been charged, are accused of hitting a man with their fists and a stick and taking the man's red Motorola cell phone, charges state.
On the same day, police say Adbi and his companion approached a 14-year-old boy walking through the park and said they would hit him if he didn't surrender his property. They also told him not to contact police or they would find him, according to charging documents.
The boy gave the men his iPod, headphones, a notebook and some pencils, charges state.
A neighbor later picked up the boy and his 11-year-old sister, and the three met with the children's father and returned to the park. Upon locating the two men, the father asked them to return his son's property, court documents state.
Police say Abdi and the other man threw rocks at the father and struck him with a board. Charges also indicate one of the men was accused of throwing a cement block weighing about 2 pounds, which struck the neighbor's car.
The 11-year-old girl reported that she stood in front of the men as they ran off. One of the men ran into her, injuring her leg, charges state.
The two men were taken into custody several blocks away. Abdi was in possession of a red Motorola phone, charges indicate. He was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail, with bail set at $50,000.
Abdi has been charged with two counts of robbery, a second-degree felony; two counts of aggravated assault, a third-degree felony; one count of tampering with a witness, a third-degree felony; a single count of criminal mischief, a class A misdemeanor; and two counts of assault, a class B misdemeanor.
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence of...
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close South...
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre urges...
- Driver in DUI crash that maimed 11-year-old...
- Got an emergency? You can now text 911 in 3...
- Deer attacks man in Draper backyard, police say
- Many questions remain in shooting death of...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 56
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 39
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 29
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 18
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14
- Report: Communication breakdowns... 10
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 10