Utah's citizen Resource Advisory Councils: 4 Utahns named to Bureau of Land Management
SALT LAKE CITY — Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar announced the appointment of four new members to Utah's citizen Resource Advisory Councils, which advise the agency's Bureau of Land Management on public land issues.
The appointees are Brian Merrill, commercial recreation, Sandy; Bill Hopkin, state agency, Woodruff; Steven Slater, environmental, Brighton; and Porter Teegarden, dispersed recreation, Salt Lake City.
"The BLM's Resource Advisory Councils help ensure that the management of our public lands and resources are guided by a wide range of perspectives and by the input of citizens and local communities," said BLM Utah Director Juan Palma.
The councils, composed of citizens chosen for their expertise in various fields of natural resource use and management, help the bureau carry out its stewardship of public lands.
"RAC members come from different backgrounds and reflect a wide range of perspectives," Palma said. "Their diversity results in a balanced outlook that the bureau needs as it carries out its multiple-use mission. The BLM is responsible for managing these various uses — such as outdoor recreation, livestock grazing, mineral development, and energy production — while conserving the land's natural, historical, and cultural resources."
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- Festival celebrates cultural traditions
- Police suspect arson in house fire that...
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue atop...
- Horse owners urged to have animals vaccinated
- Judiciary panel OK’s ex-Centerville...
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 34
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 31
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 20
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 17
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney... 16
- Hatch steadfast in holding up Supreme... 14