Utah's citizen Resource Advisory Councils: 4 Utahns named to Bureau of Land Management
SALT LAKE CITY — Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar announced the appointment of four new members to Utah's citizen Resource Advisory Councils, which advise the agency's Bureau of Land Management on public land issues.
The appointees are Brian Merrill, commercial recreation, Sandy; Bill Hopkin, state agency, Woodruff; Steven Slater, environmental, Brighton; and Porter Teegarden, dispersed recreation, Salt Lake City.
"The BLM's Resource Advisory Councils help ensure that the management of our public lands and resources are guided by a wide range of perspectives and by the input of citizens and local communities," said BLM Utah Director Juan Palma.
The councils, composed of citizens chosen for their expertise in various fields of natural resource use and management, help the bureau carry out its stewardship of public lands.
"RAC members come from different backgrounds and reflect a wide range of perspectives," Palma said. "Their diversity results in a balanced outlook that the bureau needs as it carries out its multiple-use mission. The BLM is responsible for managing these various uses — such as outdoor recreation, livestock grazing, mineral development, and energy production — while conserving the land's natural, historical, and cultural resources."
- Man killed in avalanche had a passion for...
- About Utah: All the mac and cheese they can eat
- Local religious leaders urge support for...
- Dog lovers walk to support anti-bias measure
- Cities, state battle panhandling through the...
- The story of a fish, a river and what's ahead...
- Family of BYU student hit by car say they are...
- 14-year-old boy is losing his sight but sees...
- Advocates rally and 'roar' for... 56
- Utah Democrats offer full Medicaid... 33
- Gov. Herbert threatens veto of House... 31
- Judge: Biological father will share... 28
- The story of a fish, a river and what's... 24
- Cities, state battle panhandling... 22
- Local religious leaders urge support... 21
- Utah unemployment rate hits five-year low 13