BOSTON — A baseball official with knowledge of the negotiations says the Boston Red Sox are preparing to announce that John Farrell will be their new manager.
The announcement is being held up by the unusual logistics of hiring a manager under contract with another team, the official said on the condition of anonymity because the final procedural steps had not been cleared. But the official said multiyear deal had been agreed to and could be announced Sunday.
Farrell had one year remaining on his contract with Toronto, where he went 154-170 over the past two seasons. The Red Sox have agreed to send the Blue Jays compensation for letting him leave.
Comcast SportsNet New England was first to report the deal.
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 82
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 62
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 41
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 34
- Former Utah basketball player spreads... 25