BOSTON — A baseball official with knowledge of the negotiations says the Boston Red Sox are preparing to announce that John Farrell will be their new manager.
The announcement is being held up by the unusual logistics of hiring a manager under contract with another team, the official said on the condition of anonymity because the final procedural steps had not been cleared. But the official said multiyear deal had been agreed to and could be announced Sunday.
Farrell had one year remaining on his contract with Toronto, where he went 154-170 over the past two seasons. The Red Sox have agreed to send the Blue Jays compensation for letting him leave.
Comcast SportsNet New England was first to report the deal.
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working to be...
- Mendenhall comfortable with BYU's quarterback...
- Recruiting central: Top 25 prep football...
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- High school football: Louis Wong, Tony...
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face
- Pac-12 commissioner 'delighted' that... 147
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 102
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 97
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 94
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 49
- Playoffs ‘almost... 36
- Former Ute Zane Beadles donates... 26
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 25