After watching Tuesday night's debate, I'm worried that President Barak Obama is sounding a lot like Hugo Chavez. His constant I, my, me rhetoric and continued insistence that he runs the country scares me.
Sadly, Thomas Jefferson's warnings regarding an uninformed electorate has become all too real in today's political landscape. Knowledge of economics, history, monetary and fiscal policy, and particularly the role and responsibility of government has been relegated to tweets and Facebook posts.
People seem to have forgotten that the president is not the one who makes the laws — that is Congress. The president is there as a check and balance and not the ultimate rule maker and ruler of the country.
Congress has turned into a group of pandering politicians, with almost none of them having any similarity to the statesmen that founded and established this country. It doesn't matter if they are Republican or Democrat; they've totally forgotten their role and responsibility to the people who elected them.
This is the United States of America — not the Obama Nation. The people are supposed to be in charge, take responsibility, make informed decisions, learn from the mistakes of the past, and pass on a future brighter and better than the one they inherited from their forefathers. That will not be the case with this generation.
- My view: The solution to Utah's water problems
- In our opinion: Legislators need to better...
- Dan Liljenquist: What we learned from the...
- My view: Is the Division of Water Resources...
- My view: Get insurance out of health care
- My view: hippies, 2 Hell's Angels, one...
- Last year's Utah Compromise is a model in...
- Richard Davis: Do presidents have to be...
- Richard Davis: Do presidents have to be... 55
- My view: Get insurance out of health care 47
- My view: Obama's veto won't save Obamacare 34
- In our opinion: Attempting to... 32
- My view: 'Death with dignity' and... 27
- In our opinion: Concerned voters a good... 23
- Trump and Sanders 22
- John Hoffmire: Electric cars and the... 20