Utah Jazz basketball: Big man Jeremy Evans' game, confidence growing
"I feel like every time he puts me in I have to take advantage of my time," Evans said. "So whenever my name's called, I just try to be ready."
And if he doesn't get in?
"Coach makes the decision," Evans said. "(But) if Derrick or Paul's playing, I'm right there with them. It feels like I'm playing, just sitting there cheering them on. I feel like that's the best thing for the team."
Millsap believes his teammate's jump shot will come along as he continues to build confidence by doing what he does best — block shots and dunk. The Jazz starter thinks the whole team would play better if everybody emulated Evans' energetic output.
"Effort, that's what we need," Millsap said. "We need more guys like that to bring effort to our team."
Al Jefferson has noticed how Evans is picking up the Jazz's offensive system better, especially at the small forward spot. The veteran center was also very complimentary of his defensive game.
"He's a great defender. Guys have got to know what they're doing coming in the lane when he (is) in there," Big Al said. "He (is) a good rebounder. So I think he's a plus when he's out there."
That was certainly the case during that tremendous 10-second stretch Wednesday in Los Angeles when his freakish hops and hustle kicked in.
"My phone's just been blowing up," Evans said, smiling about the big reaction he's received.
Millsap called the sequence "amazing." Jefferson said it seemed like he was watching a basketball video game. Evans laughed at his cousin's response.
"He just told me," the forward said, "I should have gave my jersey to Turiaf."
That can be arranged. Not only do the Jazz play the Clippers again tonight at EnergySolutions Arena, but Evans and Turiaf share the same agent.
JAZZ NOTES: Point guard Jamaal Tinsley (game-time decision) was sent home from practice early Friday because of lingering pain from having a wisdom tooth extracted on Thursday. … Mo Williams (adductor) and Derrick Favors (knee) aren't listed on the injury report and will be available. … Millsap on what he told Blake Griffin while the two jawed with each other following a big slam by the Clipper forward: "I just said, 'Good dunk.' " Millsap then joked that he was chewing gum to explain his mouth's extra movement.
Jazz on the air
Clippers (2-2) at Jazz (3-2)
Saturday, 7 p.m.
Radio: 1280 AM, 97.5 FM
- Guard Elijah Bryant announces he is...
- Cougars say they have learned lessons in wake...
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive line...
- Morning links: Devontae Booker to be Utah's...
- Utah Utes football: Ranking the best players...
- Whittingham dishes on stadium expansion,...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk (ahem,...
- Rock On: Jazz hire a film classic (sort of)
- Phil Steele gives tempered assessment... 76
- Morning links: Utah is on the rise in... 74
- Cougars say they have learned lessons... 64
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 41
- BYU looking for another defensive... 33
- Morning links: Tom Hackett is the Utes'... 31
- Utah Utes backup quarterback Donovan... 29
- Morning links: Devontae Booker to be... 18