High school football: UHSAA overturns previous decision, says East High does not have to forfeit games
Laura Seitz, Deseret News
After an impassioned hearing Friday, the Utah High School Athletic Association Executive Committee overturned its previous ruling forcing East High School to forfeit seven games, allowing the Leopards to participate in the postseason.
Friday's hearing erased Thursday's decision that declared not only that East High failed to file proper paperwork on its players, but that East failed to adequately ascertain the eligibility status of all its players.
The previous UHSAA decision had stated that East must forfeit all games in which ineligible players participated.
Region 6 had previously ruled on the case and handed out punishments that did not include forfeiture of wins, but the UHSAA Executive Committee held that the decision fell under its larger jurisdiction because it could affect playoff teams outside the region.
EAST (5-0 decision)
Assigned last possible playoff spot in Region 6 (#4 seed)
3 Game Suspension of Head Coach beginning Tuesday playoff game
$6,000 fine to UHSAA ($1,500 per ineligible player)
No home playoff games
No region title
3 Years Probation
UHSAA audits prior to each sports season or at the discretion of the UHSAA to be paid for by East High School
Any violation disclosed by a UHSAA audit will result in the loss of post-season eligibility for the sport involved
Any further proven rules violation regarding the 2012 football season will result in immediate disqualification of East from further participation this season
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Perseverance pays off for Taele, a big...
- BYU football notebook: Running back position...
- Tempers flare in Jazz's physical overtime win...
- Morning links: ESPN takes deep dive into Utah...
- BYU football: This Nephi played a role in...
- Red and blue recruits: Utes reap recruiting...
- Dick Harmon: Want drama? Storylines galore?...
- College football: Utes climb to No. 5... 60
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 52
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 45
- ESPN's College GameDay is coming to... 34
- Utah Utes football: The California... 27
- After win, BYU looking to improve, get... 26
- Utes back in the college football... 25
- BYU coaches continue helping players... 22