Grundy County Jail, Associated Press
IOWA CITY, Iowa — A Florida man says he's angry that an Iowa court official duped him and his same-sex partner into paying for an invalid marriage license.
In a phone interview Friday, Joab Penney told The Associated Press that Grundy County Deputy Clerk of Court Brigitte Van Nice's actions were wrong. He says the case illustrates the difficulty facing same-sex couples who cannot get married in their states.
Van Nice was charged Wednesday with two counts of forgery and one count of perjury for allegedly filing false documents claiming she married Penney and his partner in February. Her attorney says she'll plead not guilty.
Penney says Van Nice told the couple they didn't have to come to Iowa, which isn't true. Penney discovered the fraud after contacting an attorney for a divorce.
- From 0.3 to 81.1: What percentage of each...
- Disney ending funding to Boy Scouts in 2015...
- Obama administration allows 2-year extension...
- Girl Scouts asked to end partnership with Barbie
- 23 Mormon missionaries in Ukraine transferred...
- New Ukraine prime minister: Crimea will...
- Former baseball star Mariano Rivera rescues,...
- EU slaps initial sanctions on Russia
- No longer loyal to Boy Scouts of... 51
- Obama administration allows 2-year... 24
- Putin: Russia has right to use force in... 21
- Disney ending funding to Boy Scouts in... 21
- Thousands march in pro-invasion rally... 11
- Obama appeals to Democrats in 2015... 11
- Former IRS official Lois Lerner again... 11
- Ukrainian software professionals... 10